elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    CM... it was never a matter of disbelief on the damage or nusance that can be created by an animal the size of an elk. My whole point in even putting my two cents worth was to hopefully make a few people think a little bit.

Deer ..down on my end can be pretty pesky critters doing a lot of the same things the elk are doing to y'all. There still a few people that blame the deer population on KDF&WR and I still here every once in a while a statement they should be paying for the damage caused to my garden..crops..vehicles. However its a lot less complaints now than years ago. The main reason the complaints are less is because deer hunting became more popular and those complainers began deer hunting or found a way to make some income off their land from deer hunters.

I think or hope as the elk populations increase ...draws will increase...problem areas addressed...and things will eventually ballance out. Its not going to happen quickly and like us & deer ....residents will learn to accept the good & bad...or at least it dulls the agrivation with time.

Good luck with the toms as well.

2. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    headoftheholler [​IMG]
    Spike

[​IMG]
    Pete, barney, and mudhole, speak for yourselves and don't lump me into your "elk hating hillbilly club". I doubt that either of you farm for a living so the elk eating your garden is not impacting either of you financially per agriculture. I live here too, elk are on my land as well but unlike you I do see the positive side of it. I have a 2 acre garden that gets trampled and eaten by elk and deer alike. Keep in mind that the deer and turkey we have today here in eastern ky were stocked just like the elk. We have people in Wisconsin and western KY to thank that finally we have some sort of a deer herd. As for your implied innuendos on "taking care of the elk if they get into your garden" or "My garden,,,,,,, Well I WILL NOT , I repeat, WILL NOT, loose it this year to the elk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take that as you will." shooting the elk with buckshot or whatever illegal activity you have in mind is no worse than poaching however you state it or try to defend it, regardless of whose cousin's neighbor's friend that is a CO that told you it was ok. As for the fear of hitting an elk on the road, (1) I am much more concerned with the speeding overloaded coal trucks than I am of an elk and (2) look up Pennslyvania's road kill numbers for deer and the casulties associated with them, I will go ahead and tell you they pale in comparison to the elk collision numbers here. Yes, these elk are not gun or people shy like whitetail, give it time with increased hunting pressure they will. As for the economics of the elk, its debatable but point blank the money that is spent here, regardless of the amount, is more than we had without it. All this closeminded jibberish is mind numbing. But somehow I think regardless of what I say or anyone else that has a differing opinion says, you probably won't care to open your mind a little and think about solutions instead of whining about "problems".
    -Andrew

3. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

If you're going to make this statement, back it up. Show me one post where I've said giveing more tags to the elk zone would change my feelings. I have always said that the elk draw is fair. Designating more tags to the elk zone wouldn't address any of the problems. Giving those with elk problems the ability to remedy the solution is the only way to solve these problems. It's already been discussed how hard it is to get help with problem elk, you guys don't believe it, but you're more than willing to condem people for doing the same thing you would do if the situation was reversed. I am pro-hunter, not pro-novelty hunter. I'm concerned for the future of whitetails here, which you should be too, since you come across as if you can't stand us and you sure wouldn't want us to have to start coming back down west to hunt would you?

Show me where I stated what you posted.

The only "handout" I'm interested in is the one where you shake hands. I think it's a shame that fellow hunters insult and beat down others, just because they differ in opinions. Esp. those that don't affect them in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  4. 4onaside

4onaside 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    jackson,Tn
    Multi,
    Great point! It is a pro-hunting site(the anti-hunters have many sites on which they can voice their opinions). Some on here will say(have said?), "I am not opposed to hunting, hey, I hunt, I am just opposed to the elk". IMO, you can't have it both ways. If you are a hunter, then you should support all hunting, period. Getting back to the original thought of the thread, from an outsiders viewpoint, elk ARE the greatest thing going in Eastern Kentucky. I had never been to SE Kentucky in my long life until I got drawn for a tag, year before last. Had a blast, spent money, was extremely well treated by everyone, etc. All positive. And, I intend to come back( well,just as soon as I draw my next tag). lol Thanks everyone for the opportunity.

5. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    So we're anti hunters now???

Seriously, can you guys do anything other than insult?

Cause if so, then thats pretty weak.

I like your line.............."from an outsiders point of view"

Your best point to date.

6. 4onaside

4onaside 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    jackson,Tn
    INSULT! INSULT?? Nothing that I said was intended as an insult. If you took it as such, then you may have a magnum chip on your shoulder, and are apparently just looking for a fight(figureatively). I just think that we, all of us, as hunters ought to support hunting, 100%. Suggesting that elk, which is now supporting a big part of your area's hunting, be removed is hardly a pro-hunter stance. No one knows, or cares about your area's deer hunting, or turkey hunting, etc. but EVERYONE is aware of your regions elk hunting. Like it or not, when the national hunting community thinks of SE Kentucky, they think of elk hunting, period, and are impressed with the fact that the Kentucky Game people have apparently done such a great restoration job. Our sport does not need any dissention within our own ranks. IMO, there are at least two people running for president of our country right now, that would love to see it. Peace and Grace (and that is NOT an insult) lol

7. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Couple of questions.

Is it not legal to take a elk when they are out of the Elk Restoration zone?

Why is that?

Why are they not wanted in other parts of the state?

Why were they not introduced into central and western KY?

Why does VA basically have a open season on them?

8. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    CM12,

Sell your guns, Give away your camo, and keep your hunting land to yourself with big

NO HUNTING signs on every tree.

You are now labeled a anti-hunter......

9. Jughead

Jughead Banned

Nov 14, 2006
    Kentucky
    i dont think that anyone is denying the fact that the elk restoration is famous but its still a lot to put up with for about a 0% chance of getting to hunt one.

10. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    join today, EKRAE(eastern kentucky residents against elk) Free membership

P.S. include our logo in your signature

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    If I remember correctly, several people foreseen the complications, that would be caused by the elk restoration, and opposed it, in favor of small game habitat improvement!.......Those improvements, would have benefited almost every hunter in the state, verses 300 very, very, lucky elk hunters!

There is no doubt, the elk were returned to Ky. because of the greed of a few!......If there was no money involved, would the elk have been returned....not a chance!!
    You say it was a native animal, correct it was 160 years ago, so was the eastern buffalo,now extinct also, Why was it not returned?........simple answer, not that much interest, in buffalo hunting!..The elk subspecies here now, was never indiginous to Ky. ......to be fair, reestablish the eastern buffalo throughout the state,so everyone can have something "majestic" to look at, they were native too you know!........ It was never about, the nostagia of returning a once native species!!

Do you care about anything besides, yourself and money??

May not be as small as you think!

12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    without east kentuckians approval, it will never be the success story all of the 'finger in the pie' people thought it would be. and, everyone knows who im talking to here, dont ya?

13. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Explain this paragraph then please. In particular the parts in parenthesis.

Also, show one time I have downed a drawn elk hunter. In fact, I specifically state that its the elk, not the elk hunters thats the problem. I've assisted several in obtaining land and finding elk, how much more support would you like?

And now I can add this to one of your better points. This is a quote from you last post.

"No one knows, or cares about your area's deer hunting, or turkey hunting, etc. but EVERYONE is aware of your regions elk hunting. Like it or not, when the national hunting community thinks of SE Kentucky, they think of elk hunting, period,"

You've hit the nail square on the head. That''s pretty much my gripe. Guess why? Because I live and hunt here. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone;).

14. 4onaside

4onaside 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    jackson,Tn

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005