elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Realtree man

Realtree man 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2006
    Knott County
    I doubt it. It hasnt helped any yet and it wont in the future. I would rather have the lettuce personally!

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    i would say bow hunting em would be some what of a challenge.

however, some drawees may not have but a couple days to hunt-i can uderstand why they would opt for the rifle.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    If ever drawn... I would love to take one with a crossbow... mainly because I dont think its been done here but could be wrong. A bull tag would make me think a little but would still try with crossbow / archery first... fall back on rifle for a last resort.

May never get drawn to try it out but I like to think about it. Guess its why I'm as hard headed as the rest of y'all on my support of the program. The chance to stay in state ... more economical hunt makes things realistic with a youngun heading for college in a couple years. Just dont forsee swinging a hunt out west any time soon.

5. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    For those who believe that tourism doesn't contribute more to the economy of Kentucky than deer hunting, you are mistaken. Tourism can play a key role in the future economic development of Kentucky, and Eastern Kentucky in particular, if people would give it a chance. Like it or not, people are coming to Eastern Kentucky to see the elk (nonhunters). I know this for fact. This isn't secondhand information or gossip. As they say, you can take this to the bank. Is this the only reason they come to the area? No, but it is one of the things they ask about. Furthermore, this money does trickle down to you, the citizens . People who can't see this should take a refresher course in economics. Is tourism going to provide 10,000 new, high paying careers? No, but neither is the coal industry anymore. We are going to need to come with new means of revenue in the future, or we are going to gradually see our economy wither and die. Complaining isn't going to pay the bills....

6. Pinwheel8

Pinwheel8 8 pointer

Jun 28, 2006
    Corbin
    12 or 13 years ago I used to work at Hamton Inn in London. Every fall we would be booked full to the people that come to see the Fall colors. We never seen that kind of business at the beginning of Whitetail firearm season. To say that tourism does not bring in as much as hunting is foolish.

Don't believe me, try booking a room a few weeks ahead of time in Gatlinburg in the fall. Then try booking a room a few weeks ahead of time before gun season in TN at the same hotel. Then come on here and post which one you had luck with.

7. GMo

GMo 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    realtree man likes lettuce. Take a look at the RMEF econ impact info.

8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    there were 2 killed last year with a crossbow(pike,perry). that would be a pretty neat hunt too.

9. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    I think the fact that on a hunting forum, economics is given as the elks biggest asset, speaks volumes. But hey, its a bone.

To my knowledge Kenucky elk have been harvested with every legal weapon, even down to the longbow.

10. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

You bring up a valid point.....this is a pro-hunting site.

Go back through these threads and read the way you and a couple others are acting. Your trashing a great effort by the KYDFWR and the RMEF to bring back a native animal to the woods and meadows of Ky. It's a mountianous task and is well on it's way. Yet you want it reversed because of a messed up garden, a toppled tombstone and a few heads of lettuce. your worried about other hunters,maybe you should just suck it up and join the crowd. Some where along the line, you'll have to come to grips with the fact that your in a very small minority when it comes to the elk repopulation project. Not to mention that you've already told the tale that you would feel different if you had been given another handout in the form of a few elk tags. There is a vast number of sportsmen across the state and the US watching these elk grow. You are a very small group compared to those hoping for success.

11. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    JD,

A deer eats one of your rose bushes, and an elk its one. You're correct, same end result. However, with the elk, along with it being an 800 lb. animal verses a 200 lb. animal, they also travel in herds. Rarely do I see a single elk, with occasions of the older bulls. The average herd, here, are around 25 in number and can go up to over 100. The sheer number of them is whats so destructive. Imagine a herd of cattle tromping your yard. My two biggest concerns are that the elk esp. in the winter, love to congregat on the roads. Be it lack of food on the strips, or salt from road maintence, they love the roads in the wintertime. Not that you don't see them during summer, but its much less frequent. And second, being that they travel in herds, if they move in "your" hunting spot, they can destroy it in a very short time. They will browse and eat acorns and other mast along with grazing. If they move through your spot during the winter months, they don't leave much for whitetails. This isn't happening all over the restoration area yet, but as the numbers grow, so will the impact. It took to long to build up our deer herd just to take a chance on looseing it.

As for applying for the hunt, I've been applying, but honestly don't know about this year. If I do, I would be like you and try with my bow. Living here would give me a huge advantage as I wouldn't be pressed for time. But on the other hand, as Big Pete has stated, I've literally walked to with 15 yds. of elk this last fall. In the first few years they were here, I got within hand reach of elk. No kidding, it was a bull that was feeding and I was going to my stand to bow hunt, walked right up to him and swated him. So don't disbelieve these guys with there accounts, we're here 365 a year, and you get to see a lot of elk. But if they were down west, it would be the other way around, and I'd look forward to getting to hunt one. I'm willing to do what I can to help get them out of the road and away from peoples houses, but that's gonna be one big job!

Best to all of you.
    Good luck with turkey season.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  12. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

Not as small as you flatlanders may think.

Talked to a CO this morning on Leatherwood in Perry County, we both just happened to be at a small store at the same time. We got to talking and he had just returned from a call where an elderly woman said she had "cattle" in her yard. Well the cattle were in fact elk and the CO ran them out of her yard.

The CO told me that the number of complaints were several a day, in his area. He told me that the complaints are higher in the wintermonths, prolly due to the lack of food "as some on here had mentioned" in the woods and on strip jobs.

He also told me that the sheer number of complaints were forcing them to look at "LETHAL" options for problem elk.

He said in the past few months he and a few other CO's had been called to the Jenkins golf course to remove elk with rubber bullets, with little results as they just keep coming back.

It's not the elk's fault, they were just moved to a location that cannot support them and thier way of living.

Couple of questions.

Is it not legal to take a elk when they are out of the Elk Restoration zone?

Why is that?

Why are they not wanted in other parts of the state?

Why does VA basically have a open season on them?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  13. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    You tell him of your plan of eradiction of the lettuce blight problem?

14. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Yes.......

He said I was not the first that felt that way.

I also asked him what he recommended we do to deter the elk, He said he really had no answer. He said they were a pretty "honary" creature.

15. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Talked to a CO Saturday that mentioned a call on opening day of deer season from a real nice older lady who was having troubles with several different hunters. He said he would be glad to visit and check it out for her......ended up citing here step son. :rolleyes: