elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

It's BS and you already know it.

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005

Strait from the DEA.

3. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    You guys are really doing a great thing for E. Ky. here....the picture becomes clearer with every post.

4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    i was hunting in harrison co about 16 yrs ago when i kept running across those lil foam flower holders. the water had been up in these fields and those containers were scattered all along this creek. at the time, i really didnt understand why they were scattered all over in the middle of no where-no houses for a while. when i got up to the head of this drain, i figured it out. and, it wasnt grannys sunflower garden either. so, it grows just as tall on rolling hills as it does in our mountains!

p.s. not picking on harrison co here. just an example. ive ran across plenty in my neck of the woods too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I hope it does but were a little swampy down on my end. Might be more fitting for moose if they can develop an immunity to a cottonmouth bite.:D

As far as explaining..... no one has yet. All I've heard are the exact same complaints stated in the late 70's & early 80's when deer populations began to explode. I stated that I dont know much about Kentuckys elk or the areas y'all live in... thats being honest. However I have been around some elk out west on more than one occasion.

I dont know how many of those complaining have ever been around Cheyanne or Jackson Hole ...bordering Yellowstone & the Tetons but the elk or the bison dont stay in the park. They hold up in these towns pretty much fall & winter. It's not uncommon to see elk.. roming down the streets. They will even haul hay & feed in for them and the local boyscout troops make a big event out of picking up sheds. Are they a nusance to the residents... I'd say so but somewhere along the way they have learned to live with them. These towns are not small by any means and its a very populated area for out west.

There are a lot of places like this across the western states that experience the same thing. Many areas deal with grizzly, black bears , moose & wolves to go along with the elk or bison. Theres no fences ...pretty much free ranging between the high concentration of these animals & humans. No disrepect to anyone... but are these folks out west tougher & more resourcefull than the people of the elk counties in Eastern Kentucky?? I dont think so ... at least most of them.

I know those complaining here will again say its no comparison but I disagree. Do you think .. complaining on a internet site will resolve your concerns?? As far as the issue of the elk being released in the first place... I think across the state the support is high for the elk program in Kentucky. Is it fair that one segment of the state has to deal with them??...probably not. However your not dealing with the same amount of other critters we are down on this end. On the otherside of the coin of things being unjust ....a large segment of the population on this end have been affected over the years with the federal government taking our farms & homeplaces in the pretense of a national recreation area. I know its not elk... but speaking for my family. .. I would have rather delt with elk than loose our land to give others a vacation destination.

Some things are not fair.... does'n make it right nor does'nt mean you like it. It's just something you live with & work to make it better for your own situation. As for myself... maybe one day I'll get lucky to get drawn and take one of your nusance animals home in a cooler.

BigPete.... sorry about the lettuce but that has to be the earliest I've ever heard sown. Were about as far south as you can get in the state with even some cotton being grown around here again.... were several weeks away from getting our cool weather beds started.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  6. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

We ALWAYS plant Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce on groundhog day, came up in abut the normal time frame this year as years past.

Peas are always planted On Feb 14. They will be up in about 10 more days.

Sorry you guys can't "GET IT UP":)

7. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Oh Yeah,

I'll ask again as no one wants to answer.

What is the "sport" in hunting an animal that is not afraid of humans?

This is a serious question.

I used to apply for the elk drawing, but after seeing more and more how these elk act towards humans, I could not find ANY sport in it.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Whats the sport in being able to kill a deer??

I could sit you at a foodplot of our farm and let you shoot(hypothetically if legal) at deer 365 days a year. On any evening give you from 5-25 targets. Most would still call this hunting and you would'nt have to get up early or do any dragging...drive right up and throw them in the back.

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You are right, its becoming more clear, with every post! I still don't see elk hunting as having a major economic impact, on eastern Ky...........no matter how you push the pencil, the #'s don't add up!
    In 2001, ky. had 230,787 deer hunters, who spent 1,896 dollars each, for a total of more than, 430 million dollars.http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/assets/documents/Hunting Economic Impact 2001.pdf
    If the elk lottery ever got to the point, it drew 2000 hunters, who spend an average of 1,896 dollars, for a grand total of almost 4 million dollars, it would take more than 100 years combined, to equal the economic impact whitetailed deer had on the state of Ky. in one year, 2001!
    I still believe that elk money would have been better, spent on habitat for small game. Grouse, quail and rabbits don't turn headstones over or eat the paint off of car hoods!........I'll bet they are more rabbit hunters in any one county, than they are elk hunters in the entire state!!!!

10. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Tourism brings in more than hunters. Ask your elected county politicians how much? No doubt it's more than the early lettuce crop is going to bring in.

11. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

My father in Law would rather have his Lettuce back.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Tourism used to be higher .......before the elk, tourist used to come see the worlds largest, earth moving equipment......now their afraid the elk will, eat the hoods off their cars, when they visit!:eek:

13. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

I have never had a deer drink water from my dogs food bowl.
    I have never had a deer eat my hedges.
    I have never had a deer tear down a electric fence to get to goat feed.
    I have never been able to walk up on a whitetail while there were feeding .

My family leases a farm in Owen county, one of the best deer counties in the state. We have never been able to walk up to within 20 yards of a whitetail in a open field there.

I congradulate you for ability to have 5-25 targets a day at your FOODPLOT!!! I'm sure it took a great deal of work and money as well. I guess that was what you were wanting.

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Figured that one out!!!................There is always a chance, you might miss @ 20 yards......and that possibility makes it "sporting"......Well on second thought, they don't run after you shoot, so several follow up shots would be possible... well there is always a chance, of a miss-fire or firearm malfunction.....still "sporting" In my own opinion?lol
    I also know that hunting is deeply imbeded, in a homo-sapiens, DNA. Scientists say this stems from prehistoric times, when early humans, were hunter-gatherers, and to this day, hunting and gathering plays a role in satisfying our primal needs!..........So "elk gathering", would still fall under, these primal needs, and be "sporting";)

15. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    yeah, i thought jonathon gassett would have done more for the small game than whats been done- nothing here anyways. hopefully, in the future.