Eliminate Fall Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by perrymax, May 18, 2020.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Here is a short version of a key statistical biologists look at hens and poults and is Based on various S E US biologists input From studies in various southeastern states:

Out of 100 hens. @80 will attempt to nest. Only @35 per cent of these @80 attempts will have a single chick hatch. Then only @22 % of the @35 above will produce even a single chick to live one month.
    So @7 % is the average of ALL nests that will produce at least one CHICK TO survive a MONTH. Smaller % number Of that 7 % that ever see the next spring. That’s how delicate the flock growth and decline balance is.

Further The chances of a Jake breeding successfully is remote. The biologists say Less than FIVE PER CENT of jakes are even capable of producing viable sperm in volumes to fertilize a clutch with a hen. Maybe that is why jakes reserve their fun to plastic decoys??

The podcast I referenced in a post a little higher above will give a lot more details on the information I attempted to summarize here.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    BootsOn27 and msuratt78 like this.
  2. Well I must say I love your enthusiasm to learn. Just asking me the question tells me you don't know all about turkey hunting. But Grasshopper that comes with experience and maturity.

3. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    That's what I figured, BS.

4. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Nobody knows "ALL" about turkey hunting. The birds teach us something every hunt. I can turkey hunt with the best of'em, and certainly you.

BootsOn27 likes this.
  5. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Hahahahahahahaha, Nice response, tells me all I need to know, BS.

6. Wow you just don't know when to quit

7. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Just trying to learn from the great turkey whisperer about how to hunt only old birds. I need that tactic in my arsenal.

8. I guess the next thing is your going to insinuate I'm gay after 45 years of being married to the same love

9. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Not questioning anything about you personally. I'm just trying to learn your ways of hunting only old birds. For some reason, you're putting off an answer to the question. I think I may know why.

10. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I'm sorry I exposed how little you actually know about turkey hunting. It's easy to see that you've been blowing smoke for a while now. I'm to the point now, I wonder if you're even a turkey hunter or an anti? I guess if you're gonna call me "ignorant" I can personally start attacking you now, right?

11. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Never gonna be there again. New age crap disses fur and trappers

BootsOn27 and rockhousehunter like this.
  12. Wow. Do they know you escaped from the psych ward. Stop it. Please. You mean you can't tell the difference in different tom's gobble. The birds that may only gobble one time the whole day. And even if he doesn't gobble listening to the jakes that are around him that sound off to your calling. I counted my beards this year and my next tom will be number 50. I won't ever say I know everything about turkey hunting. But I do know every old bird on the farms I hunt. They will set up a pattern. I scout those birds starting when they are in their winter flocks. Do you own a spotting scope? Those older birds just don't gobble. They don't have to. They have intimidated every subordinate bird in the area. As I said earlier I don't need to kill another turkey to prove to you I'm a turkey hunter. I've got enough friends calling me before season asking me what the birds are doing to boost other hunters egos. But when I take a bird with 1-3/8 spurs I've completed my season. So don't think questioning me is going to make me doubt what I know about turkeys. I've been been retired to long and spent to many hours in the woods to even think I don't know what I'm talking about. Enough said.

13. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    You generally make sense and all, but 49 turkeys under your belt DOES NOT make you the authority around here lol. I was expecting some big numbers, from all your holier than though bullshit. Disappointing really. And I'm sure you already know this, in all your wisdom and such, but there's plenty 2yo birds packing 1 3/8" spurs, Great White Hunter.