Eliminate Fall Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by perrymax, May 18, 2020.

1. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I wasn't referring to you, lol. It's ole Hitch I want.

2. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Rock house, you are one sensitive little snowflake haha.

I’m not sure where to even begin to breakdown the mountain of drivel you frantically poured out. Good grief you’re unhinged and it’s quite comical.

Please put something coherent down and I’ll gladly respond with my views. Warning they might be different than yours, but take a deep breath and offer up your perspective with out taking things so personal like a child. In the big boy world not everyone has the same views and that’s okay.

3. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    You can talk to me on a private pm. We can discuss snowflakes there.

4. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Let me know what you didn’t understand, I can explain it again for the less educated.

5. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Ahhh crap I was just getting the popcorn ready! :D

BootsOn27 and rockhousehunter like this.
  6. msuratt78

msuratt78 Fawn

May 18, 2017
    Kentucky
    The past two seasons in my hunting area have been very challenging and tag soup. Not sure what happened last year but this year coyotes were the problem. One morning hunting this past spring season, my husband and I had 4 gobblers about 200 yards making their way to us. Then out of nowhere appeared 5 coyotes that circled around them. Luckily the turkeys were able to fly off. And the coyotes did not come in close enough for a shot. I think the coyotes need to be thinned out along with the other critters that steal eggs and eat the poults. The number of turkeys are down in my area compared to let's say 3-4 years ago. I'm not sure what the problem is but would like to increase the turkey population for the younger generation.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  7. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Coyote hunting is some of the most challenging Ky offers and your helping the tasty prey...just saying

8. msuratt78

msuratt78 Fawn

May 18, 2017
    Kentucky
    Yes it can be challenging in Kentucky. In my area, there used to be coyote hunts. Not many people have them anymore.

9. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Tournaments? My area (of ky)isn't very populated for hosting tournaments n such. A good trapper will help but its impossible to rid them all, unfortunately. I wish they'd allow us to use straight wall cartridges during the night season.

BootsOn27 likes this.
  10. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    According to telepoach, for the last 10 years average was 3088.5. With the highest number killed in 2010 at 4451, lowest 2019 at 1745. The 10 years before that average was 3818. Highest year was 2004 at 6589, lowest 2000 at 1593. With a 20 year average of 3453. Personally, I've never fall hunted and with that low of numbers don't think it would help much or be fair to the people that do fall hunt to stop it but I'd be glad to pay extra for license/permit IF the money would be used to pay a bounty on critters that do eat turkeys and their eggs. Bring in a critter tail get paid a certain amount. Would be a good incentive to kill those critters and people that don't trap or hunt them would be doing their part by helping pay.

11. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Complaining and arguing amongst ourselves isn't going to help the turkey population. If everyone would get off their tails and do something, anything, that may help, we'd be in a better situation. Habitat improvements, predator trapping, etc. Just do something! We can't control the weather so may as well quit complaining about it. Yes, I'm an elitist turkey hunter. I don't hunt from a blind, I don't reap or stalk turkeys, I rarely use a decoy. I call them to 30yds and smash beaks! If you do any of the above, good for you, just don't expect an invite to hunt with me or expect me to condone your style. If we don't get this turned around we won't have to argue about the right way to turkey hunt because there won't be turkeys to hunt!

12. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Said better than I could ever say it.

I too am elitist turkey hunter, I don’t hide from it and own it. I cut my teeth chasing ag field turkeys in Alabama 30 years ago and am old school in my approach. In my eyes the way many hunt today is beneath the old school approach as most of the challenge has been removed. It isn’t a fair way to look at it by any means, it is how I view the new way right or wrong. It’s is a narrow view that I have and I realize that, but it’s my view to have.

Decoys were illegal, no one that turkey hunted sat in blinds, they didn’t bushwhack, and they dang sure didn’t shoot hens. The few that hunted in my area were many of the guys you hear about all the time and are viewed as legends in this sport. Their ways are gone or quickly going away by the new mentality of reaping, decoys, hiding in blinds, shooting birds at 70 yards etc. It is hard to watch things change the way they are recently. I mentally can’t get to the place of condoning the tactics that are being employed by most these days and feel that they’re having a negative impact on the population and sport.

For me the thrill is the game, the positioning, reading a bird, knowing when to call, how to call, how to not get screwed, getting screwed all make it fun. the killing is anticlimactic many times as the actual hunt itself is what makes it fun.

again, not saying I’m right in my views and that my stubbornness is a good thing. Just explaining why I am the way I am. I also could do more to work on predators in my area. Habitat is controlled by the state as I hunt entirely on public ground, but I could do my part to kill more turkey killers each year

13. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    KDFW has trapper look up. come November if Coyote's is a problem get on there website look up a trapper in your area.. it's free in trapping season!!! :eek:

KY Swamp Beagler and BootsOn27 like this.
  14. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I have and will continue. I take better care of the turkeys on property I hunt than most people do their children. 11 months out of the year I try to improve the habitat and practice predator control. Most of the property I hunt is private and no other hunters are allowed so if my son and I take our spring limit and a couple fall birds on occasion, we aren't impacting the overall population. If I thought we were, I'd make adjustments immediately. I can say without reservation that I have been indiscriminately killing 'coons and the results have been immediate and quite promising.

BootsOn27, Meatstick and Trapper Delk like this.
  15. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I'm not a hardcore turkey hunter or a biologist and don't claim to be, but in my observation the declining turkey population has nothing to do with the fall season or hunting in general. I can speak for a good 300+ acres around the area I hunt. Only 1 person is serious about turkey hunting and the population has dropped to nothing.

It was nothing to see a flock of 30+ a few years ago and now lucky to see a dozen on game cams in a season. Pretty obvious to me something other than people shooting them is causing the decline. Deer populations have gone up in that time, so it's not a food source issue.

BootsOn27 and Timholt70 like this.