Eliminate Fall Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by perrymax, May 18, 2020.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Zackly. I have never, nor do i ever desire to hunt turkeys in the Fall. I wouldn't give two craps if they eliminated the fall hunt.

rockhousehunter and Timholt70 like this.
  2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If they're going to have a Fall hunt, they should make bearded only. No need to kill hens. I checked the past few years. 2000+ or so birds killed. Just shoot bearded birds would help a little.

drakeshooter, JR in KY and Timholt70 like this.
  3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    There’s a handful that really enjoy fall hunting and techniques. I’m not one of them. Eliminating the fall harvest would help some but that’s not the problem.

bowhunter269 and rockhousehunter like this.
  4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    When i had a good farm to hunt fall turkeys on, i loved it. Bust the flock up then call them back in. Its a rush having 20-30 turkeys working in from all directions, yelping,cutting, and kee keing the whole time.
    Fall gobblers were a little trickier, but ive had them come in strutting and gobbling in the fall. But its a different attitude. In my experience, if a tom came in like that, he was coming in to whoop ass. Love was definetly not on his way mind. And if you.get one worked up in the fall, he will come in to the gun barrel.
    But, saying all that, i dont participate in the fall hunts anymore. I may pop one with a bow on occassion if im on a farm that doesnt have any bait, but i do not intentionally hunt the fall birds.
    Im not against them shutting it down in my area.

Timholt70 likes this.
  5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    If coons and skunks and other egg eaters is the problem then we need to stop shooting hens in the fall.
    Less egg layers isn't a good thing.

6. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
  7. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    ....and bears in eastern KY.

8. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    I killed my toms on the second and fifth days of the season this year - neither was gobbling or strutting.

9. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    I go 2 times in the fall - once in October and once in December, and I shoot 1 each time. Now I don't honestly hunt for them - I wander around until I find them and pop one. I just like being able to hunt them a couple times in the fall with a shotgun. I would think most people, if they go, aren't going to use a bow in the fall. I know some turkeys get killed while guys are bow hunting for deer, but not enough to make a difference. I'd like to know how many people actually take 4 fall turkeys - maybe a handful? Either way I don't think the fall season matters. I hunt NKy, and saw more turkeys this year than I've ever seen. More turkeys were taken this spring than last, so if there's a decline, I'm not seeing it. But, I suppose that doesn't mean there isn't actually a decline in certain regions. It's probably not easy to make bag limits for turkeys with such disparity.

10. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Birds tend to more vocal overall in the fall. It's a perfect time to hunt for people who like to call a lot. Also a perfect time to hunt for people who like to run and gun. You can call them to the gun or bust them up and call them back in which is a blast. I've also roosted birds and called them. It's also a great opportunity to scout fresh deer sign.

RLWEBB likes this.
  11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    It scares the hell out of me when I hear fellow hunters support eliminating hunting for another hunter. I don’t fall turkey hunt and may not ever, but I’d damn sure fight for the right to fall turkey hunt. Just an FYI to everyone, the tradition of fall turkey hunting seasons predates spring hunting seasons I believe Tom Kelley discusses that in one of his books.

If you want to help out turkey numbers figure out how to control the weather in spring. Wet springs flood turkey nests. Then after you get that figured out start working on predator control on nest raiders. I wonder if feeding corn has any correlation in the coon population???

I wished hunters would learn how to not be their own worst enemy at times.

12. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    It scars hell out of me how many hens are killed in fall and i would submit telechek on hens is ignored by huge number of deer hunters.

I love To Kellys book and his philosophy; but Tom has never is his wildest dreams seen the pressure on the turkey world we are seeing today. Predation and Hunter and disease wise. Fall hunt for males if there HAS to be season, but spare the hens. IMO we can never have "too many hens". And I will admit that I am always on the side of the birds, as opposed to the hunters , but always want a hunting season reasonably balanced and geared to protection of the flock or species..

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Timholt70 likes this.
  13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I can understand your concern, but here’s the thing. It’s just a concern and a theory. Where’s the data that supports it? Where’s the mass support from the general public of hunters?

If you’re worried about fall turkeys not being checked in then advocate for more Conservation Officers per county to mitigate that issue (if it’s actually happening at the scale you say). I don’t understand jumping the gun and advocating for a season ban. Seems like a knee jerk reaction.

Winchester94 likes this.
  14. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I had edited my post before you posted and in the edited one I expanded my thoughts a bit. I never said eliminate the season. I never in original or the amended I said "do not hunt in fall" . Males only is what I said and ever said. Spare the hens was the focus.

As far as data , where in the West Ky turkey population today as opposed to ten years ago? Pretty low isn t it? Tenn is likely to take several dramatic season changes to try to restore and help the Mississippi River border counties flocks, which have been hurt badly last few years " from something".

15. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    There's not enough turkeys killed by hunters in the fall to make any difference. There is something else in play that contributes to the declining number of turkeys. I've said before that I think coons are big part of the problem but I'm just guessing. The Kentucky biologists should be able to figure it out. That's what they get paid to do. What I do know is my county just killed the lowest number of spring birds in the last 20 years. I heard almost no gobbling and could count the number of shots I heard on one hand. Something is wrong.

riverboss likes this.