Eliminate Fall Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by perrymax, May 18, 2020.

1. david54

david54 Fawn

Mar 4, 2011
    Do not hunt Turkeys in the fall much but I think it great to have the opportunity to do it . Not every body deer hunts in the fall so leave it as is in my book

2. DC

DC Spike

Good thing sites like this don't decide management decisions. Fall season harvest of hens is called compensatory mortality. In many cases hunter take in the fall, or early winter will reduce food and habitat pressure for the birds that remain.

Winchester94 likes this.
  3. Drewbays

Drewbays Fawn

Nov 29, 2016
    People just don’t hunt like they use to it’s just the facts lack land to hunt because the freaking outfitters have taken over all the farms and you will have to pay to hunt.The average hunter vanishes.

4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    [​IMG]

I finally caught this SOB after a week of him shaking the trap till the trap door fell. Then he drug it around to get the cat food. I made a Den out of concrete blocks so he had to go inside.
    He was really heavy, last 3 of them were 10 pounders. This one felt Twice that.
    I Thought about Skinning and Cooking him, but I felt lazy today.
    Dog proofs are good, but I don't want to cut a Cat's foot off.

And while we are talkimg about Fall Turkeys, I have been seeing 9 Jakes, then it was 8, now there are 6 hanging together. Question:
    Are they going Solitary or are the Coyotes and Owls catching them? They are Not being Shot. No way.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  5. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    coyotes and owls O my

6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    May be splitting off from the group if I had to guess

BootsOn27 likes this.
  7. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Cause Jr hard on them Coyote's... Not to go to far off subject but my wife has been hearing 3 every morning. Said didn't know why I didn't kill 2nd one she said could take a stick up there get one

8. skee

skee Fawn

Nov 9, 2004
    Here's my thing: I've never fall turkey hunted. I might someday but I never have. I do however read constantly about how much hunter numbers are down and how few people are going afield, especially with youth hunters. If these numbers are true we need to be doing everything possible to encourage hunters to get out. I know the weather can be tough at times during the spring season so if fall offers better opportunities for youth hunters we need to encourage that. I did the online survey for Fish and Wildlife and I told them to do everything possible to encourage hunters to go afield. Cutting down opportunities will only serve to shoot all of us in the foot in the future.

9. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I got a couple Sticks for her. They spit out little copper projectiles.

Winchester94 and Trapper Delk like this.
  10. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I told her I'd call one in I wanted to see her wack one :eek:

11. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Nothing will discourage a new hunter faster than going hunting and finding no game. You gotta have something to hunt otherwise you don't need the hunters.

12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    No one want to do away with the fall season all together, just for a few yrs to allow the population to rebound!
    I'm not going to buy a license with little to no chance to harvest a bird.

I quit duck hunting because I got tired of not seeing any birds, it takes birds to sell license.

BootsOn27, Semp, Munson and 1 other person like this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Now why rely on biology and sound wildlife management techniques? It just doesn’t feel as good as taking something away.

Winchester94 likes this.
  14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Since BEFORE we had a turkey season in most of the state. Legal in the 80s.

15. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I hunted with an H&R single shot 12 that I gave $48 for a K Mart in 1980. Modified barrel(Fixed) and 2.75 pheasant load #5s. I did use a gobbler umbrella ... Also packed a 10 ga SxS with 3.5 2oz loads one day... Have not killed a turkey in 4 years or so due to lack of time to hunt as Spring is selling season in real estate.

Why not go invest in a dozen dog proof traps and thin your local coon population out instead of trying to dictate decoys or shells. A .410 in tungsten or lead will most likely kill as far as the 10 if choked properly... So will my SBE with XXX full tube in it... What are you going to choose to make illegal? $10 in corn will attract just as much as a $150 decoy....

RLWEBB and Winchester94 like this.