Eliminate Fall Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by perrymax, May 18, 2020.

1. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    If you want to see proof of the turkey decline, go to your county and look at the telecheck numbers. I did for my county and this year shows the lowest number of spring turkeys killed in 20 years. I know some counties have plenty of birds and I'm happy for the lucky guys who hunt there. But overall, the decline is real and something is causing it. I'm old enough to remember having to hunt LBL because it was the only place where I could hunt that had a season. I don't want to go back to those days.

As far as hunting methods, whatever is legal is fine with me. I'm a sit-in-front-of-a-tree kinda guy, no decoys just me, a box call, and a diaphragm call. But whatever gives you enjoyment of the hunt is what you should do. The number of hunters is decreasing enough as it is without us arguing over what method should be used.

2. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 6 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I understand that some places have a lower number of turkeys. But does anyone think the weather has any thing to do with harvest numbers this spring? I talked to people that just didn't hunt cause of weather. I mean that would have an effect on harvest wouldn't it.....

rockhousehunter likes this.
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I’m curious Trapper, what do you mean? I only got out like 6 times but thought the weather was pretty nice? We had a couple of “freeze warning” mornings, but that’s not unusual either. I know we got some heavy rain lately but didn’t seem to be an issue during turkey season. Also, we’re on a string of light winters so I don’t think winter is contributing to a decline. I do think the early warm days in March caused a lot to get active early but that happens more times than not here in Ky. Not being argumentative, just wondering what you’ve noticed that I haven’t.

Bee likes this.
  4. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I hunted 14 days here in Eastern Kentucky, the weather here was all I could ask for. I didn’t hunt the other days due to the rain or wind. I’ve stopped hunting rainy birds. Not because you can’t kill one, just because they look like road kill in the pictures.

Drahts likes this.
  5. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 6 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Just saying that the harvest numbers this year could be affected by the weather we had. I had to work so that draws me down to weekend hunting. I hunted it was some I had talked to that didn't hunt because of weather. And the turkeys did fire up little early but not much I'd listen before work every morning. I'm not complaining I killed one and took lessons from one LoL. And after season went out about a week later the wife said 3 different ones gobbling all day long she said one would hollar then one answer across the road and every once in awhile one behind the house would gobble. Like I said before I guess I'm lucky I've got turkeys but I do take out coon,cats, Coyote's,and possums

xbokilla and rockhousehunter like this.
  6. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I’m
    I don’t like hunting in the rain but occasionally I do if I got some heads up info on a gobbler. If I do get lucky on a bird and he is wet, I just throw him in the dryer for about 10 mins on med heat.

rockhousehunter, Trapper Delk and Bee like this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The harvest was pretty high.

8. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 6 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    That's funny. I got trapping buddy when he still lived at home washed couple muddy Coyote's (after skinned) in his mom's washer :eek:. He said they turned out soft and shinny

BootsOn27 likes this.
  9. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    You got me, I almost think you're serious, lol.

10. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I don’t set the rules I just go by them, I don’t get into deer hunting much so fall turkey hunting is my thing, I like it because not to many other people do, I’m lucky if I get 1/2 a season in the fall, I agree should cut the hen limit back 1/1 for fall idk,

xbokilla likes this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I have no issue. Just saying. I definitely don’t think the Fall season is contributing to a decline.

Winchester94 and Trapper Delk like this.
  12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Scratch 2 more Coons this morning.
    I think they are most of the problems.

Carl, Winchester94, Semp and 4 others like this.
  13. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Do those dog proof foot traps work better on coons than the Havahart ones they go into? I don't know much about trapping but I have one of those Havahart traps and set it out for over a week and nothing. Then my old man gave me something he called a dog proof foot trap for coons or something. Any tips appreciated.
    I put a quart jar, wired to the trap, with molasses, salmon, marshmallows and some dog food all mixed in together. It didn't work lol.

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Dog proofs work great, you put cat food or dog food or marshmallows down inside the trap. Only a few pieces an they reach down inside an get caught

15. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Been looking at them, I'm ordering a dozen.

Feedman and rockhousehunter like this.