Electronic hearing protection

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Turkin8or, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Has anyone recently tried any of the newer electronic hearing protection devices?
    Not being cheap but I’m not really ready to go for a custom 2500$ set,
    But some of the new options from Tetra, Axil, and other brands seem affordable and I was wondering about their performance?
    I would not like if they cut out the sounds of my calling to turkeys or waterfowl, but was looking to help my hearing and most importantly cut out muzzle blast.

2. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    I have a pair of Westone Defendear electronic plugs that I used for many years sport shooting and hunting. They are very effective! Only complaint (which will probably be common in these types) is wind noise. It wasn't bad unless the wind was really whipping. I used them for long days on the Sporting Clays course, trap, steel, indoor and outdoor range, pheasant hunting, deer hunting, etc... I don't know that I'd call them all-day comfortable though. Kinda depends on your comfort level and tolerance to getting accustomed to them.
    They're basically hearing aids, that cut the power off at the crack of the shot (or clap of your hand). They're stereo, but you lose a lot of peripheral sound that your ear would pickup without them.
    I just picked up a pair of Caldwell E-Max Pros but haven't tried them out yet. Figured they'll be a little more comfortable and keep my ears warm in the winter. They were <$50 so figured I'd give them a shot. They 23db rated, for what it's worth.

3. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I see Walker’s game ear products on camofire.com all the time for $50 ear muffs and $120 for the ear buds. Friend of mine had a pair of electronic earmuffs that I used one day and was very surprised how well I could hear the range conversations. $2500 sure seems high

jblack1 likes this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have the Walker's game ear muffs. They work great.

jblack1 likes this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    ESP is very good, though pricey, I wear them when hunting as I have muzzlebreaks on my hunting rifles. Forget you have them in. Also, we use Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs at the range and skeet shooting.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  6. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    I have a $50 set of walkers earmuffs that I use on the range and a pair of soundgear electronic earplugs. I think they were around $250 or $300. I never go hunting with a gun without them. I have worn them for 8 HR plus on some hunts and I do notice them when I wear them that long but I wouldn't call it unbearable. They take some getting used to calling while wearing them. I don't really know how to explain it, it just sounds different than not wearing them. They don't cut out from it. I would buy another pair if mine broke or I lost them.

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

8. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Walker ear muffs here,
    I'm damn near deaf anyway, but they help me alot while wearing them.

Found mine for $12 new at Bargain Hunt a few years ago.

9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have the Walker ear buds and really like them got them on sale for $100.00 the around the neck ones are about $75.00 and are harder to loose, they really help me in the turkey woods.

10. Thanks for all the replies, I'm still exploring my options.

11. Ash12

Ash12 10 pointer

Oct 21, 2007
    I researched everything quite a bit and went with a pair of OTTO engineering. I have not used them yet, but I am very anxious to try them.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Camofire.com has several options now.

13. I must have missed that one-

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Search for deals. They had several muffs and insertion too.

15. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I had the Walkers supposedly latest model ear buds with the neck gadget during this duck season. Had to return them for a refund from amazon after repeated failures. . The battery would not last 20 minutes even after being fully charged. May just not be made for subfreezing temperatures..