Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bobtownhunter, May 10, 2019.

  1. bobtownhunter

    bobtownhunter 6 pointer

    Oct 4, 2005
    somerset ky
    Guys I made a big mistake 3 weeks ago.Was helping older fellow do some odd jobs.He had electric insulator pull outta barn holding wire running to another barn.I was putting new insulator up to repulse wire to get back up in air for tractors to go under.Asked him if he got turned off so I could pull back up and he said breaker was off.I got hold of wire to pull and I’ve never had electric to get ahold of me and couldn’t get loose.I was getting shocked repeatedly and could not get out.I ended up coming out somehow and falling 15 plus landing face first which I don’t remember none of.Lucky another guy helping gave me for as I was not breathing.He got me back conscious and they flew me to uk.I got lucky by just having 3 broken bones in hand,dislocated shoulder and skinned up face.I have cast on Armand had surgery on shoulder as busted shoulder up.I am 1 week post surgery and doing ok just pain in arm is rough.I am so thankful and blessed to be here typing or not be paralyzed.I thank the good Lord for watching over me. I’m just asking everyone please don’t make same stupid mistake.Go ck breakers ur self and then use tester to be sure it’s off.Sorry for such long post but but want make sure all my hunting brothers don’t have this happen as I missed all turkey season but I will be back next season.Thanks guys for reading.
  2. 00noturkey

    00noturkey 10 pointer

    Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    your right about not checking the power before you do the work., despite what someone say's.
    glad ya made it through the ordeal.
  3. Ataulbe1

    Ataulbe1 10 pointer

    Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Wow man, glad you are on the mend. Sounds like you are lucky to still be with us. God was sure looking out for you! Prayers for a speedy recovery.
  4. bondhu

    bondhu 12 pointer

    Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Glad to hear your doing okay.

    JR PORTER 8 pointer

    May 1, 2014
    Worked with electricity for 32 years on the RR, can't be too careful when it comes to electricity that's some serious stuff! Check you tester, make sure it's working too! Glad your OK! Found some wires hanging down from a power pole in the RR yard where an outside party had tore down an old building looked like they were still connected on the main wires, got my meter out checked the wires which were hanging low enough that anyone walking by could have grabbed. Turns out to be live wire 3 phase each wire had 480 volts, talked to the party that left them hanging they had tested it with their meter and thought they were dead, cut the wires loose with a pair of bolt cutters, bad meter! Also on of the guys had retired from the power company, lucky men! Lesson learned, and don't grab wires hanging down from anything, treat them as if they were live wires until you know for sure!
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Dark Cloud likes this.
  6. Wildcat

    Wildcat 12 pointer

    Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    You got very lucky that day.
  7. Dark Cloud

    Dark Cloud 12 pointer

    Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You got lucky this time, we just talked about this very same thing , a little while back on here.Trust no one ,to turn power off. Glad you’re doing okay
  8. ojibwa62

    ojibwa62 12 pointer

    Jul 1, 2018
    Glad you are on the mend..

    Electric work is one of the few things I just write a check to get done..

    I will hang light fixtures and ceiling fans but beyond that the check book comes out..
  9. dirtstalker

    dirtstalker 10 pointer

    Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Wow..bad deal there. Glad you are mending. Just discussed this on here a while back with another gentleman in a similar situation. NEVER trust that someone else has it off. Do it yourself..and make sure all your testing equipment is in working order. Then, double check yourself.
    Ive worked with electric off and on since i was a teenager. From residential to industrial. It can be dangerous. Again, glad you are okay, and hope this was a lesson learned as well.
  10. JR in KY

    JR in KY 12 pointer

    Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Yeah, glad you are still living and breathing. Lectric is some serious stuff.
  11. Genesis 27:3

    Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

    Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    God spared your life.I'm a electrician.I know how easely things can go wrong.always trust but verify power is off with a multimeter.
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  12. Gforcetrivers

    Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

    Sep 23, 2016
    Glad you're going to be ok. Electricity scares the B Jesus out of me. You have a good story and lesson to pass on.
  13. TripleGee

    TripleGee 12 pointer

    Sep 13, 2003
    Glad you're better now R.B. Can't be too safe even at home relatively speaking. So, is the deer camp cook and chief bullshitter job open??? Ha!
  14. carnivore

    carnivore 12 pointer

    Nov 17, 2007
    Thanks for sharing your mistake, hopefully someoen else benefits from it. I took a pretty hard hit while troubleshooting a water heater. Water on the basement floor and barefoot. Dumbass decision.
  15. yote hunter

    yote hunter 12 pointer

    Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    I'm an electrician and have ben shocked probably a thousand times but never have ben hung up but I have witnessed someone who was. Electrocution is the number one cause of death on the job for electrician's number two on the list is getting shocked and falling . You where very lucky to live through it.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice