Electric vehicles

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
Our country's infrastructure is not now nor will it ever be in the next 20-30 years sufficient to accommodate the numbers of EV's the libtards want pushed today. Hell, we can barely meet power demands as it is and those will only increase.

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
Curios... besides the cost of electricity going through the roof; when it's all EVs and bicycles, who's going to pay for the road maintenance? Or will we have flying electric transportation and not need the roads that pump tax pays for?

There are a ton things not being considered. I'm looking forward to seeing how CA and NY handle this.

Really though... it's just lip service for their constituents. Just because you can't buy a gas vehicle doesn't mean they won't be allowed in the state, right?

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Curios... besides the cost of electricity going through the roof; when it's all EVs and bicycles, who's going to pay for the road maintenance? Or will we have flying electric transportation and not need the roads that pump tax pays for?

There are a ton things not being considered. I'm looking forward to seeing how CA and NY handle this.

Really though... it's just lip service for their constituents. Just because you can't buy a gas vehicle doesn't mean they won't be allowed in the state, right?
Speaking of. The state contracts won’t be able to buy new fossil vehicles. I can see the police, ambulances, state workers, firefighters all hanging on to worn out junk until it causes trouble then running into some nightmare scenarios.

Buzzy

10 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
Our country's infrastructure is not now nor will it ever be in the next 20-30 years sufficient to accommodate the numbers of EV's the libtards want pushed today. Hell, we can barely meet power demands as it is and those will only increase.
What I love more than anything are people who say we are the richest most powerful country in the world and then say we can’t do something.

Classic

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Fossil fuel has become stale to many hands in the pot, our goverment wants to get richer over night! Force us to buy electric vehicals just like mandating shots, they can get filthy rich off our backs.

Buzzy

10 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
Fossil fuel has become stale to many hands in the pot, our goverment wants to get richer over night! Force us to buy electric vehicals just like mandating shots, they can get filthy rich off our backs.
As is tradition

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
What I love more than anything are people who say we are the richest most powerful country in the world and then say we can’t do something.

Classic
Here’s a little lesson on economics…..invention is derived from necessity and demand. Goobermint losers who have no understanding of reality cannot magically wish/decree something so stupid into existence.

Jmd

6 pointer
Sep 26, 2016
I am an electrical engineer with more than 40y experience in the energy industry. As old uncle Joe would say, "Here's the Deal Man". A new Tesla will have a 100 kWh battery to get a 300 mile range. You cannot discharge it 100% every day. That would leave you walking and shortens the life of the battery. The battery technology is Lithium Ion. Those are about as efficient as can be acquired today. Still, they are only about 90% efficient. The charger also has losses during the charging process. So, if your battery is down to 30% at the end of the day, it will need 70kWh to re-charge. Combined with the losses, you will use about 91.5 kWh to charge the car from your home charging station. Depending on your current average cost of power, it can run $10-18 per charge. All that varies by your typical daily commute.

But,.... This is a big one. An average American all electric home with a high efficiency heat pump will have an electric demand of 5-7 kW. The average home uses 11,000 kWh per year. Adding only one EV to the home energy use adds a demand of about 9.5kW to the power grid when it is charging. While much of this can be done late at night, for those who work during the day and come home at 5-6pm, the first thing they will do is plug in the EV to charge. It takes about 10hrs to do so. Then they will cook dinner, turn on the TV, lights and the AC or heat will be running, wash & dry clothes, you get the drill. There will be times in the late afternoon hours when the peak load on the grid from that home is tripled.

OK, no problem when one home out of 100 is using one EV. But what happens when that becomes one in 2 homes or worse every home has one EV? What if there are two EV's in use at the home? You do not have to be an engineer or an energy expert to soon realize that adding one or more EV's to even a small percentage of the homes in most locations of the USA will overload the local power distribution circuits during the peak loading seasons. As the use of EV's proliferates, it will overload them more and more often. Smart chargers that control the time when your EV charges and delays it until later at night when you are asleep will help to mitigate the problem but also limits the time to charge your EV. You might find that you are not getting a full charge in the morning and that limits the range and usefulness of the vehicle. I commute over 100 mi per day. That is one third of the range of a high end Tesla every day. Most of my miles are high speed interstate and that uses more energy due to the aerodynamic drag which increases with speed. Thus, I would easily burn thru more than half the battery every day. That does not include the miles I drive during the day. For me, it is NOT a good choice.

For widespread use of EV's to be successful, we will need to invest in large scale improvements in the capacity of both our power generation infrastructure and our electric transmission grids. We will also have to upgrades at least some of the local power distribution systems. Probably not all and not all at once but the investment will be substantial. Guess what that does to the cost of electricity?

Anyone who says we will power the country near term (next 30y) with only wind and solar generation is either a liar or a fool or BOTH. Most politicians are not scientists. They are lawyers and do not understand or want to study energy issues. The only congressman I have encountered to date who really gets it is KY's Thomas Massie from over near Ashland. He seems to have a grasp of the issue. But until we are having rolling blackouts it is hard to get the attention of most of our at this time leaders. For use to power the grid without fossil fuel generators we will need large scale energy storage and the battery technology available today is just not economical to do the job. There is not enough research being done to fix this either.

25y ago, while speaking to a national energy group in Houston, I called for international research on development of the next evolution of power generation technology. It would be a 30y effort. Something business cannot and will not do. It is one of the few things government does well. Long term R&D with no prospect of a profit from it for decades. Everyone nodded and applauded and as of today 25y later, nothing has been done to speak of. Invest in candles brothers and sisters. Hard times are coming.
Thanks for the explanations , very informative, Some things I Had not thought of. Not a fan of EVS at this time> The GREENIES still will not understand what is going on with the electrical infrastructure in this country.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
I disagree. For someone who commutes and can save $100 a week, $5k a year on gas the $35k purchase price of a Tesla Model 3 would pay for itself in 7 years.

That makes perfect economic sense.
Just occurred me tonight....... Why do electric vehicles not come with solar panels on all horizontal surfaces? Seems logical, at least to me.
Too expensive, heavy, creat wind drag that would consume more electric than it would replace, and def look like hell. Theres so many times it would do nothing as well, like at night and cloudy days.
As much as i like the idea of solar, it is so limited. A good day of solar generation is about 10 hours, and thats rare. Even if it was sunny every day, never cloudy, never rain. Thats still only generation 40% of the time.
Unicorn riders never understand this. Some even believe moonlight generates. 🤦‍♂️
Solar and wind will never be more than a meager contributer to generation.
For every kilowatt of solar or wind, somebody, somewhere, has to build a gas generator, to step in when fairy dust fails.
Unicorn riders dont like to hear that either.

Latest posts