Electric vehicles

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
Just occurred me tonight....... Why do electric vehicles not come with solar panels on all horizontal surfaces? Seems logical, at least to me.
I’m so far from an electrical engineer, but common sense tells me that it has something to do with the conservation of energy. Solar is alright for LED bulbs, and other household applications, but little roof panels adds little to the energy needed to move a ton vehicle at 60 miles an hour. It might take a week to fully charge; you need a power plant burning natural gas to charge effectively.

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
Just occurred me tonight....... Why do electric vehicles not come with solar panels on all horizontal surfaces? Seems logical, at least to me.
Some prototypes do but not mass production vehicles. From what I have seen they are very small, like 1 person vehcles.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Simply because electric technology, especially solar technology is not functional at this point in time. The solar panels are inadequate and they weigh a shit ton compared to the energy they produce. They could not provide enough energy to generate the power needed to move themselves mounted on a car. We are a generation away from electric vehicles and several generations away from solar power. It is simply not feasible. Great in theory….retarded in actual use.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Simply because electric technology, especially solar technology is completely inadequate at this point in time. The solar panels are inadequate and they weigh a shit ton compared to energy produced. They could not provide enough energy to generate the power needed to move themselves mounted on a car. We are a generation away from electric vehicles and several generations away from solar power. It is simply not feasible. Great in theory….retarded in actual use.
Thanks, you made my point.........

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
Not to mention they are too expensive and make zero economic sense with the current technology.
I disagree. For someone who commutes and can save $100 a week, $5k a year on gas the $35k purchase price of a Tesla Model 3 would pay for itself in 7 years.

That makes perfect economic sense.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I disagree. For someone who commutes and can save $100 a week, $5k a year on gas the $35k purchase price of a Tesla Model 3 would pay for itself in 7 years.

That makes perfect economic sense.
How save $100 a week on commute? Explain.

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
Those numbers are not reality
With gas at $4 they are definitely real. Even more so if gas goes beyond $4. I was spending $100 a week in my little car. Someone driving an SUV or commuting further than my 35 miles could easily spend over $100 a week.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
With gas at $4 they are definitely real. Even more so if gas goes beyond $4. I was spending $100 a week in my little car. Someone driving an SUV or commuting further than my 35 miles could easily spend over $100 a week.
Of course $100 a week on gas is not uncommon. What is unrealistic is the purchase and operating cost of an electric vehicle. They are too expensive to be viable.

Latest posts