Electric tractors

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Should do fine on a perfectly manicured property or 100% flat and tillable. But most small units are run on rough ground with obstacles, steep grade, and traction issues rendering it useless.

Would be nice to have a quiet operating machine though. And would be nice to charge the battery off a solar panel. Id think they’d start on the high end with the giant machines.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
So farmers will have those charging stations in their barns? Maybe 1-2 out in the fields for the larger properties?

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
I watched the video and - electric motor and all that goes with it aside - I really liked some of the features. I'd love to have a tractor that could be programmed to mow or rake the fields. The "follow me" feature was really cool as well. And they said the tractors would run from six to ten hours per charge. At my age I'm very rarely on one for more than ten hours. They way they described it, about all you'd have to do is open the gate and the tractor would mow or spray or feed your cattle. If true, that sounds pretty good to me.

Now, how they perform in single digit temps or when you have mud up to your knees....who knows. And the real question is....Can they back a trailer?

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
This HiTech BS is just that. BS. Tractor Electronics are very susceptible to Dirt, Dust, Rain, Vibration, Heat and Cold. Just about every Farming situation has all these factors. The new stuff is giving a lot of trouble...I was talking to the Service folks at a New Holland dealership last week and they told me that Every NEW Tractor they get in is already Broken. They were at the time working on a New Tractor that was already Sold, if they can fix the A/C and multiple other problems. They had been waiting 4 weeks for parts already.
Lectric Tractors are already on the Ground in Europe.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
The pulling torque and all should be there. Could even hook up a solar panel over the cab.

I can’t see these running a pto very well at all. Also when the batteries start exploding, catching fire and mice/dust destroy the electronics it’s going to be a nightmare.

The coal mines can’t even get electronic parts right now, I don’t see my local dealership carrying those parts or having certified techs with staffing as it is.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I watched the video and - electric motor and all that goes with it aside - I really liked some of the features. I'd love to have a tractor that could be programmed to mow or rake the fields. The "follow me" feature was really cool as well. And they said the tractors would run from six to ten hours per charge. At my age I'm very rarely on one for more than ten hours. They way they described it, about all you'd have to do is open the gate and the tractor would mow or spray or feed your cattle. If true, that sounds pretty good to me.

Now, how they perform in single digit temps or when you have mud up to your knees....who knows. And the real question is....Can they back a trailer?
I can not see it running all by itself in field work. Lets say the rake has a flat tire or sheers a pin and quits working, or what would happen when hooked to a disc mower and the mower picks up wire or plastic sack and clogs the mower. Will that thing stop or keep on dragging the broken equipment around.
The next thing would be that you have to buy special equipment to go with the tractor that has a ton of sensors on it to tell the tractor that the piece of equipment is working properly,
Only the rich can afford to buy one and want a new toy to play with.