Electric Smoker opinions needed

CRFoster68

8 pointer
Jan 7, 2009
Fort Thomas
I am looking into buying an electric smoker.. I have decided to go with electric due to the convenience of it and not having to babysit the smoker all day. I have never owned a smoker before and am wondering what size smoker I should buy? Should I get digital or analog? What brand under $300 is the best? Also, I noticed some have windows on them and I was thinking that they would just cloud up like the ones on previous grills that I have had... What are your experiences with the windows on the and do you really need a window? Thanks in advance for any insight you guys/gals can help me with!

Charlie

pentail

Bacon
Staff member
Sep 25, 2002
Savoring the smoke
I am a big fan of the Masterbuilt. They do have a little bit of a tendency to burn out the wires if they get moisture under the back cover, but it is an easy fix. Definitely go digital. Much better temp control. The window is neat the first couple of smokes till it blackens up, but not worth extra price IMHO

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
My brinkman has done a good job for 10 years but I hear the elements are too expensive to replace. So far, it's still working, just have to take care of it. It keeps a steady 250F but has no temp controls or thermometers.

hunter345

Fawn
Mar 20, 2012
I have a masterbuilt digital and absolutly love it very easy to use and I even made my own deer summer sausage this year and it turned out great.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
I am a big fan of the Masterbuilt. They do have a little bit of a tendency to burn out the wires if they get moisture under the back cover, but it is an easy fix. Definitely go digital. Much better temp control. The window is neat the first couple of smokes till it blackens up, but not worth extra price IMHO

Pentail, I will disagree with you a little bit. I think that window, as cloudy as it gets, will still help to keep you from openi g the door. I think it gives you just enough satisfaction seeing your meat cook, to defeat the curiosity mechanism. I think that window is worth it's weight in gold. I give the Masterbuilt two thumbs up.

B.G.O. of Kentucky

12 pointer
Nov 19, 2002
Louisville, Ky, USA.
I have the 30" Masterbuilt and pops has the 40". I would recommend the 40" due to smoking several butts gets a bit crowded. I wrap my butts in foil and slowcook them so all the extra room is helpful when smoking 3 or more butts. I too think the window is a waste IMO. Mine is black.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
I have the Bradley smoker. Definitely worth the money. I have loaded it up with the wood pucks before work and had pulled pork when I get home. Most others you will have to add wood chips every hour or so. If that's the case just go wood burner and get the full effect of smoking. Bradley is more expensive but worth it for the set it and forget it factor. Opening the door is a non factor for me. Get a wireless digital thermometer and there is no need to open the door unless you are mopping spraying or pulling the meat out. Looking at it does nothing cook everything to internal temp or for ribs I do by time.

Xcal1ber

12 pointer
Jul 16, 2011
Couple ridges over
I have a Master Forage from lowes and really like it. Holds temp good, heats up quick, and it comes with an internal meat thermometor already built in. Mine was 200$ and that thing can make some mean BBQ! And a half a cup of wood chips will last about 5 hours smoking.

AteUp

12 pointer
Mar 14, 2004
Luavul
I love the window and the interior light. Nothing better at night than having a cold one and watching the smoke waft around my meat. That and the built in thermometer keeps me from having to open the door to see what it looks like. I just look at it...with the door closed...thru the window.;)