Electric fillet knife

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by muddhunter, Jun 5, 2020.

1. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I’m in the market for one. Never gave it a thought till this year. Got into a mess of crappie and later got into a giant mess of giant bluegill. Decided that if I was to keep going that route I would either get an electric filler knife or start saving for carpal tunnel surgery. What are you all having luck with? I’m looking at an American Angler.

2. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I've never used an electric knife before. Does it really work that much better?

muddhunter likes this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I'm getting the bubba rechargeable next week.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    if u saw my guide buddy using one you'd be amazed how fast he can clean fish.

LoneArrow likes this.
  5. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    I witnessed a guy years back on the side of the lake used a electric fillet knife cut the end off and had a 12 volt battery alligator clips hooked up to it and was cleaning fish and fishing same time. Amazed how fast he cleaned a fish. Try it. You can use a Walmart brand. It don't have to be the fancy name of high dollar like some people use. It's just a knife.

muddhunter and LoneArrow like this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I use the hell outta this one. Plugs into the Ranger if I need it to, hook to the boat batteries if I need it to, plug in the wall if I need it to. I've ran it like crazy for three years on the same 2 sets of blades.
    Screenshot_20200605-174139.png

7. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    I cringe everytime I hear people say they fillet bluegill. Not my cup of tea. As for the question if you don't mind to spend a bit the bubba blade electric fillet knives are awesome. They come with 4 blades sizes and lithium battery for around $150.

LoneArrow and muddhunter like this.
  8. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    The American angler electric knives are the best in my opinion. Sure makes a difference in time and effort when cleaning a lot of fish.

LoneArrow and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  9. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    It really works that much better. I was skeptical and used my neighbors after he saw the pile of fish I had to go through. He basically made me use it. It is a game changer.

jblack1 and LoneArrow like this.
  10. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I know there are several different ways to clean a bluegill. I prefer to fillet and fry my boneless meaty morsels. Sometimes I will bake or pan fry with no coating. It’s all good. Why the visceral reaction to the filleting of the mighty bluegill?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have used electric for decades. Twice as fast. Easily. I have about worn my AA out. Be needing a new one next year.

rockhousehunter and muddhunter like this.
  12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    is there a cordless Rapala or AA? I don't have electric where I clean thus the rechargeable Bubba. my son has two buddies visiting for two weeks, says they're jugging everyday/night. typically takes me a few days to recover after they leave. :) bassfishing, catfishing, jugging, yellow and white bass, bowfishing, wake boarding, knee boarding....

Drahts, jblack1 and muddhunter like this.
  13. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I do appreciate what your saying. But I’ve got a crapload of “just knives” sitting around the garage in varying levels of brokenness. I think a quality knife makes a difference. Even if you have to pay for it. I am happy to use an inexpensive product if I know that it will work like it should and last.

14. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Rapala has a cordless lithium ion rechargable. I know nothing about it though

15. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    Nothing personal whatever you like is all that matters. I have always just scale, gut, chop the head off and fry them whole. The skin and fins is my favorite part of the fish. Just seems like there isn't enough meat on one to fillet for me.