Either the biggest coyote in Ky. or it's a freakin wolf

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by predatorhunter44, Mar 21, 2013.

1. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    I am really curious to see what a biologist says on this matter of could they migrate here from the great lakes region down, and then survive.

2. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    Crap! Out of popcorn. I better get some more for this.

3. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

I think these guys are biologists...
    http://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/aboutwolves/biologue.htm

Still reading it myself but here is one statement that directly conflicts with a comment made earlier in this thread....

"There is some concern that wolf recovery may pose a threat to human safety. However, wolf attacks on humans are extremely rare in North America, even in Canada and Alaska where there are consistently large wolf populations. Most documented attacks have been in areas where wolves became habituated to people when they were fed by people or attracted to garbage."

Just found this on the same site....

3) Do wolves need wilderness areas to survive? Can they survive near urban areas?

"It was thought that gray wolves were a wilderness species, but wolf range has expanded into areas that we once thought could not support them. In Minnesota and Wisconsin, wolves have shown that they can tolerate more human disturbance than we previously thought. Consequently, it appears that wolves can survive anywhere there is sufficient food and human tolerance to allow their existence."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Teehehehe...

5. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

Sorry guys...never thought a few facts and rational thinking would kill this thread dead :eek:

6. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    *crickets.....*

7. 2tonyb

2tonyb 6 pointer

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    I promise to revisit this thread to eat crow when the wolf population explodes in Kentucky.

8. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Fellows, coyotes have taught me over the years to never say never. Sounds like good advice concerning wolves to me.

9. I don't think they will have a population explosion but they will show up in new places every year until they get here.

10. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Noone said there was going to be a population explosion. Besides wolves are more like bigfeets in this manner you just hear about one here one there, next thing you know you have a family of them residing in your back yard.

11. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    I'm wanting to see an explosion of "Bigfeets".

12. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I've always wondered that...is it bigfeet, bigfeets, bigfoots? Inquiring minds...

13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Funny!! What would a group be called? Herd, gaggle, flock, if they hunted in packs. I would not hunt without a party of five or more.

14. GoBlue82

GoBlue82 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2013
    Boone Co.
    okay, go ahead and sound the nerd alert siren, bigfoot hunting culture is a bit of an obsession of mine. not hunting bigfoot, but reading the reports and such because they are awesome and a great way to kill an otherwise productive day. so, since they are not recognized as "real" there is no official pluralization. according to http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bigfoot the preferred is "bigfoot" but "bigfeet" and "bigfoots" are also acceptable as they all follow the rules for English word construction.

however, among the "experts" (and I use that term with tongue fully in cheek), "bigfoot" and "sasquatch" are the proper pluralizations, just like "deer" and "moose". using "bigfeet" is a sure way to get yourself labeled as a noob. and i am sure we are all very concerned about the opinions of the sasquatch community.

while on the topic though, did you know that the ohio river valley is a hotbed of eastern squatch activity? seriously, go check out tristatebigfoot.com sometime when you need a good laugh, or want to kill an afternoon sometime. good times.

15. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Seriously, dude! Like I need another excuse to waste time on the internet! :p Now I know how I'll be wasting my afternoon...I just can't miss good entertainment.