Ehd?????

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lady Hunter, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Had a doe acting extremely odd behind the house this morning... For almost two hours, she never moved - except for a slight flinch when a crow almost hit her in the face. She just stood in one place, swaying on her feet every now & then like she was going to fall down. Pulled up the spotting scope to see what was going on & her face/jaw appeared badly swollen, ribs were showing, coat was patchy....

Called Frankfort & they had me leave a message for someone but I never got a call back.

After a couple of hours of no movement whatsoever, she staggered off out of sight. Gotta feeling I'll be seeing buzzards before long...

Pics aren't great - she was about 70 yards away & I was shooting thru a window. Sure looks like EHD to me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BELLY UP!!!

BELLY UP!!! Spike

Jun 14, 2009
    lawrenceburg, ky
    Lady Hunter, I think if I remember right, your form Anderson. I also am from Anderson. I talked to a guy two weeks ago that hunts around the eastern part of the county. His neighbor, then, had found 9 deer on his farm. And my buddy had found a few on his as well. So it could be EHD. I hunt the northern side and so far have not come across any, and really hope not to. But your pic and story sure reminds me of seeing what EHD can do to the deer from the last time it hit pretty hard here.

3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Ah crap... Eastern Anderson is where I am. Sounds like we're getting hit hard. I'd noticed our usual number of visitors out back was down but was hoping it was just the time of year... Haven't seen the two big 'uns I'd been watching for several weeks. And the number of does is down from a few weeks ago as well.

Hopefully my farm on the West end isn't as bad. I've got big plans for making summer sausage, snack sticks, polish sausage, etc. over the winter now that we've gotten the hang of it! But gotta be able to get the deer/meat first...

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Could very well be EHD but she has a pretty good cut on her back hip. Any chance she was hit by a car and maybe broke the jaw? Maybe she just can't eat.

5. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    My thought as well.

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I had a beagle who's mouth looked like that after getting snake bit.

7. HNTRJH

HNTRJH 6 pointer

Jun 28, 2010
    I was thinking snake bite

8. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    X3 on Snake bit being possible I had to get my dog to the vet so they could put a tube down her throat because she was having a hard time breathing. I found a Moccasin in the corner of the yard I am assuming she killed and got bit in the process.

9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I am of the same opinion. It looks like she was injured by something that prevents her from browsing. I don't think its E.H.D. as Deer, with this disease, are found dead near a water source. E.H.D. happens to a few Deer areas each year to some degree.

10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I watch a deer with ehd and its head was all swelled up it couldn't walk straight stumbled and fell every few feet.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

11. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Looks like someone shot her in the left hind hip with a rage lol

12. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I would say ehd. That cut looks more like a scar to me. I think it does cause swelling in the head.

13. crowedog

crowedog 6 pointer

Jul 14, 2011
    mt washington
    we got hit by EHD hard in BULLITT county back in 07 this doe looks just like what I saw deer were thin swollen in the head neck area would not move much and they seemed to smell funky than other dead animals do . I picked up awesome rack and could not stand to carry it around seem like there hooves were funny looking to. I found deer dead in the woods and fields far away from water .