EHD verified in KY 2019

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ojibwa62, Aug 22, 2019.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Hemorrhagic disease found in Kentucky deer and numbers are expected to keep growing
    SARAH LADD | LOUISVILLE COURIER JOURNAL
    3:06 p.m. EDT Aug. 22, 2019

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife and Murray State University's Breathitt Veterinary Center have confirmed the state's first 2019 case of hemorrhagic disease in a white-tailed deer.

The case involves a dead female deer from Graves County in Western Kentucky that tested positive for the disease, which is sometimes called "blue tongue" or "EHD," according to a press release from Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.

Officials are investigating how wide-spread the issue is, looking into cases of 22 deer in 11 Kentucky counties.

Those numbers, the statement said, are expected to keep growing in the coming weeks. Outbreaks last until frost kills the flies that carry the disease.

“Hemorrhagic disease cannot be transmitted to people or pets,” Kentucky Fish and Wildlife's wildlife veterinarian Dr. Christine Casey said in a press release. “It is caused by two different viruses: epizootic hemorrhagic disease virus (EHD) and bluetongue virus. These viruses are transmitted to deer by small biting flies, also called no-see-ums.”

The disease, which has been in the country for 60 years, hits Kentucky in small areas each year, the statement said. Statewide outbreaks hit in five-year cycles, and Kentucky's last regional outbreak happened two years ago. Far Western Kentucky had an outbreak in 2012, the statement said, and the last statewide outbreak hit was in 2007.

Hemorrhagic disease shouldn't be confused with chronic wasting disease, officials said. Unlike the latter, hemorrhagic disease isn't always fatal and deer can develop antibodies to defend against it. Deer that die from the disease will do so usually withing 24 to 36 hours after being infected.

The counties officials have reports of the disease from are:

• Anderson
    • Carroll
    • Christian
    • Graves
    • Greenup
    • Harrison
    • Meade
    • Oldham
    • Trimble
    • Scott
    • Shelby
    The only confirmed case, though, was the one in Grave County.

“Kentucky’s archery deer hunting season opens early next month,” Gabe Jenkins, deer and elk program coordinator with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, reminded hunters in the statement. “The department is asking hunters and others to be on the lookout for sick looking deer.

“Deer with hemorrhagic disease can be more susceptible to other diseases. For that reason, the department always cautions against eating the meat from a deer that doesn’t appear to be healthy

kyhunter99 likes this.
  2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I hope we don't see it again in southeastern Kentucky. Two years ago it was bad.

davers, dirtstalker and Ataulbe1 like this.
  3. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    An employee of mine found a nice buck dead in creek, last night, Nelson county, wasn’t shot or hit by anything

4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    This is like saying flu is going to hit in the winter. It’s going to happen. What we don’t always know is the severity. Let’s hope for some good rain and maybe it won’t be too bad.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Still no pics of my big 10 been 3 weeks.

6. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I haven't seen one of my biggest bucks since mid July and I'm right in the middle of several counties on that list. My county is not listed but.....

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

When it hit here it seem to take the largest toll on mature bucks. I lost several great prospects that year. Had several on camera that just seem to vanish overnight. Sure don't need to go thru that again, they are just now starting to recover good.

8. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Hopefully it won't get too bad out of hand.we got some pretty good rain today in Christian county.that may help some.

ojibwa62 and davers like this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I knew it and feared that E.H.D. would be an issue in some Counties this year. This Summer has been very dry in many areas and HOT & Humid, which contributes to the disease, spread by Midges. My county isn't listed either, but some are very close. Got some rain yesterday afternoon but still need more. I believe freezing weather, needed to kill of Midges, is far off.

10. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    They disappear here like that all the time then like a jack in the box pop goes the weasel, there they are. I got one pic of a 10 on July 1st last year then nothing again until the week before rifle.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  11. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Poured here yesterday we have been getting rain pretty regular.

But not to sure that matters from what I hear..

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I believe last year he wasn't real regular till about mid November.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Must be just parts of the state with no rain. Weather out of Evansville, Indiana said we are over 14 inches of normal for this time of year. And if we get normal rain rest of the year it will be the wettest summer in several years. Rain here yesterday and raining again this morning.

14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Here in central Kentucky, our Summer has been Hot & Dry. Received some rain yesterday evening and expect more this afternoon. This morning it's foggy and HUMID!! Not heard of any dead Deer from E.H.D in my County yet.

15. Yettislayer

Yettislayer Spike

May 17, 2013
    Central KY
    You need to report all suspected sick and any dead deer you see on KDFWR's website. There is a link to it on the homepage.