egg shells

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by 00noturkey, Nov 21, 2021.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
  2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Being that I have been jonesing for some high quality Jamaican Coffee, ever since recently mentioning it, I noticed mere moments ago that Henry's House of Coffee slashed its price from $75.00 to $60.00, for that offered from the Kalabjian family:

https://henryshouseofcoffee.com/shop/coffee/light-roast/jamaican-blue-mountain/

Decent chance it would not arrive from limp wristed San Fransisco by Christmas festivities; therefore, I visited the Jamaican government website in search of certified entities in/near Kentucky, with no such luck.

Atlanta is the closest. I know this place has the real deal and might possibly be able to deliver in time. What I did not know and found of interest worthy of sharing, regarding the coffee trade historically, is within this five minute video (it contains a few brief pauses throughout it).

Atlanta:

https://www.martinezfinecoffees.com...ue-mountain/jamaica-blue-mountain-coffee.html

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I haven't tried Death Wish. Folgers is my normal work day coffee. Usually brew black rifle on the weekend.

Little FR likes this.
  4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Where can you get Death Wish? Someone gave my husband some & he really liked it.... (I'll stick with my hot tea!)

aceoky likes this.
  5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

From what I've read it's mainly sold online.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  6. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    Walmart has it now. The K cups and the bags.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  7. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I make Cowboy or Army coffee. I use a perk pot without the perk innards. Just water in the pot. Toss in a dash of iodized salt(Helps thyroid) and an a piece of egg shell out of the freezer. Bring to boil. toss about three heaping tablespoons of grounds, a spoon of Monk fruit zero cal sweetener(Diabetic) and a spoon of unsweetened chocolate or straight ground cinnamon, You can cut it off or let it boil for a bit.

Pour in some cold water to settle the grounds(or don't for extra kick) No need for filters.

Little FR likes this.
  8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

"Monk fruit zero cal sweetener(Diabetic) and a spoon of unsweetened chocolate" neither sound like Army\cowboy coffee. Maybe I don't know what it is. Thought it was just black.

drakeshooter and Little FR like this.
  9. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Earth
    I believe salt, egg shells, etc. are leftover from way back when quality water was not available. Lotsa old timers told me that coffee water needed something to help soften it or settle the "bits and pieces" out. I always assumed this was due to varying well water quality in coal regions...

But then, as a kid, I was always trying to taste the "sweet" taste of a good spring. To my old friend Carl, if water didn't smell like sulfur or catch on fire by itself, it was "sweet". Took me a long time to figure out that one...

Feedman and Little FR like this.
  10. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I take creative license since sugar was the go too addition back in the day.

The last time I ate a full MRE I damn near passed out from all the sugar they pack into those things!