egg shells

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by 00noturkey, Nov 21, 2021.

1. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    anybody here ever heard of using eggshells to make your coffee taste better? i think it might work, though i only tried it once in the coffee filter.
    long ago you could smell coffee, in the morning. not anymore..

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Heard of it. Never understood it. I still smell my coffee in the morning.

HeadedWest likes this.
  3. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 10 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I’ll drink any coffee, but at home we grind our beans every day. It makes a big difference in flavor to me.

aceoky, Little FR, Snareman2 and 2 others like this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    If you make it strong enough you can smell it.

aceoky, 00noturkey and Gforcetrivers like this.
  5. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I like my decaf Dunkin Donuts Coffee, for a cheap fix, and I wouldn't desire to try and obscure its pleasant aroma with eggshells nor anything else.

6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    ^ well, I must amend my previous statement. I like to add things to it, at times, but typically just French Vanilla Cream and honey or sugar.

DocPain likes this.
  7. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    I put a very small amount of sea salt in my coffee grounds. It neutralizes any bitter taste (especially from cheap brands).

I have heard the egg shell thing. I question how sanitary it would be. Even if you washed the egg shell it can still have the membrane attached holding bacteria.

8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YES Used to do it when I use a big coffee pot of 20 cup or more. Takes the bitterness out of the coffee. Small pots at home I dont. I like my coffee STRONG. So I add more to the filter at home.

00noturkey likes this.
  9. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    The egg shells are to be crushed and added to the pot not the grounds. They should not be washed! The whole idea as I understand is to clarify the brew. The albumen in the membrane traps particulates. I believe this was more used in percolators rather than drip style. The calcium may also add to the flavor just as FR stated. Salt makes bitter things less bitter and sweet things sweeter.

00noturkey and muddhunter like this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I hate salt, unless I'm riding a wave. Rarely do I prepare anything utilizing salt, and when I choose to do so, it is limited. I add salt to my boiled peanuts, absolutely love my boiled peanuts but just do not wish for them to taste like a whale had previously swallowed them and puked.

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
  12. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    4 or 5 large pieces of course ground see salt over grounds is what I use. So an amount of regular salt about the total size of a large pea. You can’t taste it. Just cuts the bitter after taste of cheap or less fresh coffee.

00noturkey and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  13. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    Brody likes this.
  14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Wrong again, Little Friar, but I have mentioned and/or simply posted a link to the latter upon this forum. The search feature is your friend.

I used two drink two pots of coffee a day, myself. I am 100% decaf these days, with exception to my chocolate milk, peanut M&M's, and Tootsie Rolls (just purchased two bags and currently chowing down upon the latter). I am more of a Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee type of lady, but I also like the poor man's Jamaican High Mountain Coffee, grown at a lower elevation. My weakness is for cappuccino, but I also make a mean expresso. I am and always have been a hot tea time lady. I create my own but also purchase some.

Here, I notice that entity sells it, but it costs less upon the island and likely elsewhere, of course. It is rare. I once lived there, but my family arrived here from London back in 1610 (Jamestown). Such is the reason for the tea time.

https://henryshouseofcoffee.com/shop/coffee/light-roast/jamaican-blue-mountain/

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021