Eastern Ky People vs. Western Ky People

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by gobblergetter, Sep 24, 2009.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    I was thinking about how split the state was during the Civil War and it made me think about how split the state still is today. Not necessarily black and white but just different people. We have people from all differnt parts of the state on this forum. Is it just me or do Eastern ky people differ a ton from Western ky people (not necessariy good or bad)? There are parts of the state that are further "north" than where I live now in Indiana.

Just a thread to get different ideas from people across the state.

2. plowboy

plowboy 10 pointer

Hmmm, then how do we classify those of us who were born and raised in eastern ky and now live in western ky? I have lived and worked all over the state and must admit that I have seen at least four different "cultures", east ky, north ky, central ky and west ky.

3. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    I have noticed a similar division within my own county. Anything East of 75 is one culture and anything west is another.

4. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

You can distinguish behavior between brothers, much less people in a given state. Why try to divide them. That's a big problem in our country right now, division. When the people are divided, nothing will ever get done.

5. itallushrt

itallushrt Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Getting a blumpkin
    The one thing I've noticed is that there are far too many Hoosiers on a KY Hunting forum worried about KY people.

6. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Yup.
    Used to be, a big difference.
    Used to be, those east of I-75 shot grouse, those west of I-75 shot quail.
    Really changed since there ain't no quail or grouse.

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Rednecks are the same, regardless of which end of the state they hail from. I've lived at both ends and in general they are good people.

I've encountered a lot of condescension from certain areas of the state, however. There are folks that view areas differently, whether they are actually different or not.

8. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    People in eastern Ky. have larger calf muscles!:D

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I heard they also have one leg shorter than the other....:D

10. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    they also have less teeth.ky is a very diverse state.

11. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Thats true of the lazy ones that walk around the hills. Those that are'nt lazy go straight up and over!;)

12. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    Are you always this rude? I lived in Ky for 9 years. I simply have noticed differences and it seems that most of the others that have posted do to. Just starting a conversation. Last I checked what state I was from wasn't a requirement to post on this site. Don't post unless you have something relevant to say.

13. ky_horsetrainer

ky_horsetrainer 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2004
    Jackson County
    there you go, tell him how it is....sounds like the pot calling the kettle black....but back to the thread, i think alot of the difference come from the heritage, life styles, and education from generations back...i know here in jackson county most of the families still live close together and are very close, except for the younger ganerations, they are adventurious...but the 90 y/os to the 4o y/os have been here since there families came here years ago, and they will die and be burried here

14. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I think this post is prob. the closest to being true. People are raised differently and that most likely has more to do with it than geographic location. There are folks on here from Pikeville to Paducah that I completely feel like I know and understand, there are also folks on here from my own county I question how they made it adulthood without professional help. I think it really just goes back to upbringing, and the similarities or differences therein.........

15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Good people all over, bad people as well..Mountain people can be different, not worse or better just different.You can expect someone who is raised in a hollar more than a mile from the nearest person to act the same as someone raised on a city block..They know and learned different things. When I look out my door I see mountains in every direction..That would drive some people crazy, but I wouldent have it any other way..
    PS. I personally despise the term "redneck"..I see it used to excuse foolish and shamful behavior far to often..Im more "rural" than most but ive always refused to call myself a redneck..Around here there is a difference between a "hillbilly" and a "redneck"..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009