Eastern Ky bear hunt

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Edward Day, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Edward Day

Edward Day Fawn

Dec 9, 2019
    Breckenridge
    Hi my name's Ed and although a Ky native, I'm new to the site. I am heading east this weekend to hunt black bear for the first time. I plan to hunt the Bell county portion of Boone Forestlands. Hoping to find a good hill top with a good view and scan the area for one, although I'm not sure how that'll work in that area. I wondered if anyone familiar with the area could share any tips or advice. I know you guys really want to see some black bears get bagged...

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Welcome Ed
    Sorry but I can't help you

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Welcome. Reach out to bigpete on here, he loves bears.

Meatstick likes this.
  4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

Lol!!! Good one!

Edward,
    I will say as far as the bear population it is exploding! It unreal how many we see regularly in Letcher and Harlan counties, they are thicker than fleas on a dog. When a sow has 3,4, even 5 cubs at a time it doesn’t take long for the population to grow.

As far as hunting them, I don’t know what to tell you other than the bear are there! None of my group will hunt them due to fear of a citation from KDFW for hunting over bait, but that’s been discussed on here extensively.

Good luck and I hope you and your hunting party kills every bear you see!

5. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    The KDFW doesn't have them tearing up their garbage cans! :^)

6. ky_coal_miner

ky_coal_miner Spike

May 15, 2015
    Clay County Ky
    Bell co is loaded with bears. Also your plan about getting up high and glassing is probably the best option during rifle season.

7. Edward Day

Edward Day Fawn

Dec 9, 2019
    Breckenridge
    Thanks for all the responses guys. It does sound like they're quite a nuisance. I hate that you have to live with a pest that's so well protected by KDFW.

It looks like rain all weekend while we're there but it isn't going to stop us. I'll let you guys know how it goes and we'll definitely fill our tags if we get the opportunity.

8. Edward Day

Edward Day Fawn

Dec 9, 2019
    Breckenridge
    Update: Hunted all weekend, covered areas of Elk Forest, Boone Forestlands and Asher. Looked out over every area we could find. Found some nice places that we could see pretty far and glassed those areas. Met a nice fellow out there that had problems with bears in his trash and he pointed us toward the area he thought they may live. However, we had no luck didn't see any bears. It's a very nice area and we plan to try again next year. Also, we'll be a little more prepared and take some time off work to get a little more hunting in. Thanks again guys

jblack1 and bondhu like this.
  9. Without the ability to use bait or dogs your chances will be slim. Bear are a random encounter if there is nothing happening to draw them in or locate them. I have lived and hunting in Eastern, KY for more than 50y and I have never seen a bear in KY in the wild. I have had them get in my garbage. I have seen photos of them nearby and heard reports of them nearby. I have seen them in the wild in WV and TN but never in KY. They are here but KYDFW does not really want you to shoot them IMO.