EASTERN KENTUCKY 2020 RUT

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lowcountry, Oct 8, 2020.

When do you think 2020 bucks will be on their feet based off an earlier rutting room OCT 31?

1. OCT 31-Nov 7

33.3%
  2. Nov 7- Nov 14

46.7%
  3. Nov 14-21

20.0%
  1. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Fawn

Oct 19, 2019
    Greenup KY
    Take the poll. What are your predictions about the rut this year in Eastern Kentucky. The rutting moon will fall on October 31 this year. I am thinking seeking will be activated around late OCT-Nov1-8. They say it falls on the same time every year, but there are those that follow the rutting moon and those that hunt their prime weeks (Mid NOV).. What say you? Temps look like they will be dropping towards the end of OCT. I'll be in Carter and Greenup.

Where are you at?
    When do you start to see the big bucks on their feet?
    Do you think the rut will be slightly earlier this year? (Weather permitting & based off an OCT 31 rutting moon)

rutting moon.jpg

Trophyspike likes this.
  2. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Im in South Central KY but my farm is always most active between Halloween and Nov. 7th. After that I have noticed less seeking and chasing, more lockdown.

3. BowHunter20

BowHunter20 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2014
    Ohio
    I do believe the rut is like a bell curve, starting late October through Mid November for our area of the country, with the peak of the "rut" the 2nd week of November to give the fawns the best chance of survival in the spring. With the full moon on October 31st, there may be rutting activity but will probably happen at night. Same with temperatures, if it's hot...all the action is happening at night when it's cooler.

But November 10th has always been good to me regardless of moon and weather phases!! :cool:

First buck November 10th 2016; 2nd buck November 10th 2018...both following does!

Good Luck all...enjoy the ride and don't over think it!!

IMG_1769 updated.jpg

2018 Buck2.jpg

Feedman, woodsman92, bondhu and 4 others like this.
  4. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Fawn

Oct 19, 2019
    Greenup KY
    Thanks Bowhunter20.. I put up a similar post last year. I head up to the Greenup/Grayson area every year in November to hunt at a friends place. Normally I would pick my dates, but due to work this year my only window is OCT 31-Nov 8th. Should still be good hunting. Nearly no pressure on this private 600 ares and still too early for folks to be sighting in their rifles seriously in the immediate area. Granted I'll have to take the bow, but that is the way it goes sometimes. Also, I like to stir up rut talk because there normally is none for the state of Kentucky until it has passed. Nice bucks by the way!

5. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Your last 4 words in that post are excellent advice!

6. In Nov. stay in the woods.You never know when.

GTbowhunter, woodsman92, 120+ and 2 others like this.
  7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Here it usually breaks loose Weds of first week rifle. Then by Sunday they are locked down and the last weekend of rifle they start cruising good again. Ya can't kill em on the couch though, for the most part I know some of ya can! :)

8. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    D. All of the above.

woodsman92 likes this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Rut, will depend on the Weather: too warm rut activity will be more at night. In fact, if too warm, Deer movement will be mostly at night as they have their winter coats on now. If the weather is colder than normal then rut will be all day long, with morning hours the best.