East ky deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Oct 1, 2021.

1. It is odd,but yotes can clean one pretty quick

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I shot a doe with ML, and liver shot her. Right at dark, December. Bumped her three times, and finally just left. She was near the neighbor's house, 100 yards or so. Went back next morning at daylight. Found her, but yotes found her first. She was alive when they found her because her throat was ripped out. They ate most of one ham, and 1/3 of the other. Chewed up both shoulders pretty good too. I cut out the backstraps and left the rest....

Junglekat and rockhousehunter like this.
  3. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Buddy shot one at Knox a few years ago, nice buck. He hit it back and went in next morning and the yotes had eaten some of his hams off and started on his guts. He was still alive, had to put another shot on him.

4. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013

Now that is not a good way to go! If I die in the woods I’m fine with rotting and fertilizing the place
    Or being eaten by the critters (even coyotes as I’m taken my fair share of them so it’s only fair)

rockhousehunter likes this.
  5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    If they get to them early in the night that can clean them by daylight. My friend had that happen. Sounds hard to believe but it can if it’s 3-4 pack

6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is a nice buck!!!

7. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    That is a nice Buck!

I was hunting a big one behind the house and arrowed him right before dark. I thought I had hit him alittle far back, liver shot. I watched him the best I could, and heard him kick afew rocks in a dry part of the creek. I get down, find my bloody arrow (it was a pass through), and head to the house. I wanted to give him time and eat some bowls of Chilli. I knew this deer was about 160” and didn’t want to jump him up or push him over on the neighbor, so I fought myself to keep my emotions under control and wait. It was almost midnight when I thought it was okay to get out and find him. Moonlight night, I walked without a light. Got to the woods, entered, and it exploded with chaos, sound like things were running everywhere in the leaves. I turned on my headlamp, but didn’t see anything. I was afraid I had jumped the big buck. I walked up the creek and dang, he was about right where I thought I had last heard him. Dead, the coyotes had pretty much gutted him and ruined one ham. I was so pissed at coyotes. But, I got my deer and most of the meat.

Feedman and 1wildcatfan like this.
  8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
  9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Coyotes can find them really fast.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    We were hunting late December and my cousin hit a doe with a crossbow that ran over in a nearby valley. Just a few mins later we hear all sorts of growling and thrashing about 100 yards ahead of him in a cedar thicket. When we went to retrieve his doe, sure enough coyotes had already got her. She must have ran right in on a pack.

Feedman and muddhunter like this.
  11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I was in Nebraska bowhunting. One of the guys from Headhunters TV Randy Birdsong was there. On his last morning, he shot a buck. Came back to the house said "we smoked him" but they came back to watch the shot on the TV. He smoked it. Sat there, had breakfast waited 3 more hours (prolly 5 1/2 hrs from shot) then went looking. It had went bout 40yds. Coyotes had completely stripped it, who knows how many, but it looked like a starving family had peeled it out, you'd of had a tough time getting enough meat for a burger. guts gone and all! Crazy how fast it can happen, but in this case it didn't have to. But Birdsong is a tool. Oh and it wouldn't have gone 110". His attitude towards what happened was "meh"! Could care less. Typical TV hunter.

Southpaw and RLWEBB like this.
  12. rum3002576

rum3002576 6 pointer

Dec 29, 2014
    Wayne County
    I’ve had bear eat a lot of a carcass overnight. But that’s in PA and there’s a ton of bears here

13. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I’m starting to get the sense that nowadays people are not as aggressive on there recovery efforts, it happens I understand been there before but I stayed all night tracking for recovery, finding it is great but the loss of meat is terrible with people sticking deer and looking hours or days later in warm temperatures, tracking dogs and lets back out mentality looses a lot of good meat, kind of defeats the conservation purpose

woodsman92 likes this.
  14. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Fine line really. If u push before he’s dead very unlikely to find them in the end anyway.

Snareman2, RLWEBB and Junglekat like this.
  15. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I’ll agree, the recovery of the antlers is the most important it seems. I’m guilty of getting down and start trailing immediately, so far it’s worked out for me. I’m not above leaving one overnight or calling in the dogs, but it’s definitely not my go to. Seems like the go back in the morning is the new cool tv thing.

cedar creek likes this.