East east KY !

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by josh sanders, Dec 31, 2018.

1. josh sanders

josh sanders Fawn

Dec 29, 2018
    Eastern Ky
    Hey Guys , Been soaking up some great reading for the last few months here . The more I read I realize how much different my area is from the rest of Ky or the states in general lol . I'm as deep in the mountains as you can get. Within 5 miles I can be in west virginia Or Virginia. .. Looking forward to talking with everyone

timer and carnivore like this.
  2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    You related to any McCoys?

bigbonner and Dark Cloud like this.
  3. josh sanders

josh sanders Fawn

Dec 29, 2018
    Eastern Ky
    I'm on the other side of the fence lol ...Hatfields.. but I live 8 Miles from the old Randolph McCoy home place .

4. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Kinda figured you were close. Went to Mayo vocational school in Paintsville with a Barry Hatfield from that area. Know him?

5. josh sanders

josh sanders Fawn

Dec 29, 2018
    Eastern Ky
    No, Sure Don't

6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Beautiful country out your way. My wife's family is from there.

7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    You ever seen that indian head carved in the big rock overlooking all 3 states?

8. josh sanders

josh sanders Fawn

Dec 29, 2018
    Eastern Ky
    No sure haven't , I live about 5 miles from where all 3 states meet . They Striped mined that mountain years ago. To Work on that job site you had to have your KY,WV and Virginia Surface cards. It was Crazy we had inspectors from all three states that had to stay on there side lol ... We also have a lot of Hatfield McCoy old homes and graves that we have never payed any mind to until the movie came out and we started getting flooded with tourist .

9. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    We was way the hell back in there. Tug Fork Island was at the bottom of the ridge we were on. That Indian Head Rock had folks name and dates carved in it from the 1800's. While we were there we polished off a quart of clear.

10. josh sanders

josh sanders Fawn

Dec 29, 2018
    Eastern Ky
    I’m asking a few guys at the shop if they know where it’s at ... Got me interested now lol

11. KY MountainMan

KY MountainMan Spike

Jan 19, 2020
    Martin Co.
    I grew up on the KY bank of the Tug, a few miles north of Williamson, not far from Hatfield/Big Creek area. There's lots of Indian sites around the area - my great grandparents owned land on the WV side that had a large burial mound on it. I can remember playing on it and finding an arrowhead there when I was young. When they built the new part of Corridor G (US 119), it crossed the river there at that location and some archeologists excavated the site before construction began. They called it the Cotiga Mound. It was built between 205 BC and 75 AD. It's fascinating to think about the ancient history of this place. I often think about how beautiful it must have been before any settlers came in, with huge, old growth trees everywhere. Apparently, even during the height of native populations, historians think that very few actually lived year-round in the area. Instead, several different groups used the land here as hunting grounds. They would come from Ohio/N Kentucky, and the Carolinas area on long duration hunts, then return home. When Boone and others started guiding settlers through Cumberland & Pound Gaps, they did not believe the area was permanently settled, only used by so-called "long hunters".

An article about the Cotiga mound:
    https://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/1609

Munson and barney like this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Rocky mountain?

13. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Overall, there is no prettier - or more historic - state than Kentucky. And there is no prettier part of Kentucky than yours.

Welcome aboard.

KY MountainMan likes this.
  14. KY MountainMan

KY MountainMan Spike

Jan 19, 2020
    Martin Co.
    Thanks! I agree - I've lived in half a dozen other states but always came back home because I missed the mountains.

timer likes this.
  15. KY MountainMan

KY MountainMan Spike

Jan 19, 2020
    Martin Co.
    The horse? We just call em mountain horses, although there are different types, I'm not for sure which he is. Some say he is a rocky. He wandered up here about 6 or 7 years ago with an old mare and never left. Now there's a few more ;). The dogs hate him but for the most part know not to mess with him :rolleyes:

barney likes this.