Early Season Mornings

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 4UK, Sep 4, 2013.

1. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    How many hunt mornings early season, and if so how does it compare to mid oct , nov morning hunts, I always thought evenings better this time of year , just wanting others thoughts on it?

2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I primary like to hunt afternoons in the first few weeks of season. Because I normally see more movement in the afternoons early and because I dont wanna walk through a field full of deer before dark unless its just a last chance effort and seaon is about out. But depending on the wind direction I may hunt saturday morning because im so ready to just get out there and hunt. Then I will be for sure hunting primarly afternoons till it gets cooler.
    For me I dont like mornings as much as afternoons untill it gets cold then there about the same sometimes better.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    Killed my last 3 bucks in the mornings but I had a way of getting on stand without bumping them. Still debating on whether or not I go Saturday morning. Depends on wind and what time deer are showing up thurs and fri morning.

4. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I'm in the exact same situation, I don't want to go Saturday morn but the wind is supposed to be right and I've had more morning pics in daylight recently than afternoon

5. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    I still love evenings though

6. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Wind forecast is SW at 4 for Saturday. I have a nice spot up on a ridge that I always go to on opening morning. The deer should move from the alfalfa and up the ridge to the east toward the bedding area. I loves me a good walk in well before dayling, and getting mauled by spider webs in route to my stand sight.

7. Covert HQ

Covert HQ Sponsor

Sep 2, 2012
    Logan County
    Not worth the gamble to me No mornings until Oct 20 unless I have one pegged

8. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Same for me.

9. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    I do but I don't hunt the farms I am targeting shooter bucks on.

Will be on public land Saturday am. Can't not see the sun rise on season.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I don't have any preference over morning or evening hunts ....but pretty much let the temps & winds help make the decision this time of year. As well as the lowest impact approach possible as far as walking in a dry woods.. leaves crunching under your feet.

Which for Saturday ... low 60's in the morning ...near 90 in the evening. Winds as Meador stated SW ...fairly calm.... which will be real conducive to a stand about 20yds inside the timber on a heavy used trail from our food plot to a bedding area. Been getting pretty much a split on morning & afternoon pics in this area through summer... but as it turned off hot last week ..favoring the mornings a little more. It's an area that if you don't have a decent prevailing wind ... the thermals as the air cools of an evening will loft your scent right into the bedding area. In the morning as the air warms.... basically puts my scent in a direction it shouldn't impact the bedding area nor travel route I'll be on. Overall... it's just a tricky spot that you really need to pay attention to wind direction or it will screw things up... but no doubt one of my favorite bow stands.

So ... for opening day... morning it will be.

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    My dad called tonight and tried to talk me into hunting opening morning. He said I was crazy... He also never worried about his scent, and rarely hunted more that 12 feet high. I have that nice 10 point coming every morning and afternoon. I tried to explain to him that if I went in opening morning and bumped that deer, it would be over... Not a chance I sit that stand until the first afternoon the wind is right. Dad killed more legal deer from 1956 or whatever year it started until 1990 or so than anyone else in Kentucky. He killed some nice bucks, but it still amazes me that he did so given his lack of concern for the nose etc. I can tell you this, he can sit stiller than any person on earth, which is why he killed so many deer. His ears are horrible. I have slipped up on him so many times, and have watched him for long periods of time. He doesn't move a muscle, which is something I should do more of.

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I carry a stick this time of year and swirl it in front of me on the way. I hate walking into those things.

13. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    Gotta be tough. Spider webs and sticky dead bugs provide added detail to my face paint.

14. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    What's a bigger rush than listening to a herd of deer you can't see running away at your last step to the blind? Bring it on!!

15. CrazyGame16

CrazyGame16 6 pointer

Jun 25, 2012
    6 week old and 2 1/2 year old kids at home make afternoons tough to get out. Select mornings only for me for now, should get some afternoons in when the little one is a little less time intensive.