Early rut?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Jacobhwrd, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Anyone know what will trigger the rut? I know there is a general time line of when it happens but does anyone know what will actually trigger it? I have heard people taking about it coming in early before but know one knows what causes it. It must be something environment that triggers it right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    I think the rut happens over the same time period every year. What people call an early rut is when there is a small mast crop and weather is cool the deer are moving in and around fields. So people see them chasing more. For most people seeing chasing means the rut is on!

3. macintrigg

macintrigg 6 pointer

Oct 21, 2013
    I agree with racsr, In general the rut seems to be about the same time every year. There is some evidence to suggest it is based on the amount of light available each day and not so much the moon phase, meaning the availability of light would be the same each year, which makes sense. I would not be overly concerned with the term early rut, just keep data from the previous years and go with it. I think there is a certain period of time, or a window in November where I would be in the stand all day if I could. I'm still seeing little bucks sparing and getting fired up.

4. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah last year I didn't see any chasing. And heard few shots opening weekend. The year before that it was like WW3 was going on for the first 4 hours. I would hear a shot ring out every 45 sec to a min. I didn't know if it was weather related that would kick it off or not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. checked cameras yesterday. Had some small bucks with nose to the ground running does. A few others were more worried about food. It does seem like the early chasing is about to get started. Atleast that's whats going on at my place.

6. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Same here in my neck this past year. I saw a single buck during modern gun chasing and hunted hard for the first week. Our lease had been kind of slow the last few years with more hunting pressure on neighboring farms. We dropped the lease and got another this year. I think the rut does happen same time every year but temperatures have a huge impact on chasing and activity. It has been warmer the last few years and I see a lot of chasing and activity on cams at night and then during the day light hours it slows. I think this year is going to be a little colder.

7. jknight13

jknight13 Fawn

Sep 18, 2015
    I am a new hunter to Kentucky, so when is the date range for rut? I am from Louisiana and our rut is much much later.

8. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Halloween +/- a couple days usually through about turkey day for main rut with doe coming back into heat second time when not bred and same year fawns usually come in a little later around my neck normally-central ky. My dad always used to say "Come November First if you aint in the woods you are a fool."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  9. KYhunter87

KYhunter87 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2015
    Central KY
    It seems like gun season fell just right last year. It was a week earlier than normal with the way the Saturdays fell and I saw more bucks than I have ever seen in my life. Hopefully it cones a little late this year so we get some prime chasing during modern gun.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not saying anything you probably don't know .... but you really can break it down to several phases. Which I'm no expert by any means but here's how I interpret what I'm seeing.

Seeking.... chasing... breeding / peak phases are what most associate with the rut.

The seeking is when the bucks are separated and begin cruising around looking for a hot doe. Which is what we're beginning to see a little of in my area... especially younger bucks. We start seeing scrapes and buck activity in general picks up. Also a time you will see bucks start harassing does a bit ... even though their not in heat.

The chasing phase is what most call the rut ... but again it's just part of it. Which from around Halloween .. give or take a few days .. we start getting does coming in heat. The more does coming in as the days progress .... just a flurry of activity with bucks chasing does. Archery hunters / season usually witness the best of chasing on most years but again.. occasionally with the calendar shift ... gun hunters can catch it at its best.

The peak.... which modern gun is set to the second Saturday of November as traditional date because it usually coincides to peak breeding. But the catch here is the calendar shift. An earlier date on modern gun .. your prone to catch the chasing phase. However if it hits at the peak phase ... it's more of a case where bucks are locked down breeding. More than likely at the peak .. we as hunters experience somewhat a lull in activity.

Many will even say we missed the rut.. but not really. Usually if you just ride it out and stay persistent they will be in search of another doe .. and the cycle continues.... until the does in a given area are bred. Which basically if their not bred... they will come back in estrous every 28 days. Which some call the second rut. But the reality this can go on for several months in some high doe population areas like zone 1.

Other factors on any of these phases is hunting pressure , moon phase & especially weather. Warm temps & windy conditions can dictate to more night activity ... making hunting tough.

All in all.... these rut phases all occur pretty much the same time on any given year. Might shift plus or minus a few days pending your hunting area ... and can even have an occasional doe come in heat early. But the majority will occur like clockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. KYhunter87

KYhunter87 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2015
    Central KY
    Great info there. I agree what we caught last year was the seeking phase. It was great though seeing that many bucks on their feet and moving in daylight. It would be nice to move gun season to the first Saturday of November so we could catch that more often.