Dying Sport

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by jrfrmn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey Fellers.
    Is coon hunting a dying sport. What hounds do most people use? Does anyone use Redbones. What would a good pup cost?
    Thanks.

2. JSI Kodiak

JSI Kodiak 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2001
    The Bluegrass State
    I'm still going. There is definatly a lot less coon hunters out there. We hunt Walkers. We were selling registered pups at $300 recently. I just started back up when I found a hunting partner that had been going all along.

3. SonnyT

SonnyT Spike

Dec 7, 2008
    a guy at my work hunts and breeds walkers and swears by them

4. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    i was always a blue tick fan but hunted with many good dogs of all breeds coonhunters are still very active in my area but as you know at this point they arent in it for the $$$ just for the love of the sport...

5. EKYHUNTER

EKYHUNTER 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2009
    Its not half as big as it used to be....myself i like a walker....but idc if a dog is purple and part fiest or wiener dog if it will tree a coon ill go in the hills with it...and ive went in the hills with plenty that wont.......any pleasure hunter will tell u a good coondog is a good coon dog no matter what it is...

6. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Coon hunting is slowly dying......and deer hunters are killing it.

7. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.

Okay 79, I'll bite. Why are deer hunters killing the sport of coon hunting. Is it because they are willing to pay for the opportunity to hunt and you're not?

8. sketter

sketter Fawn

Apr 7, 2009
    barborville
    as long it tree a coon and dont run junk its a good dog. i have some walker pups be ready in 6 weeks.

9. As soon as they classify coons as varmints as they should be, I'll be a big time coon hunter. I hate those garbage raiding, corn stealing, garden destroying critters. Right now, I'm waiting for legal hunting season to open so that I can rid the state of a few but it always seems by the time the season for them opens, they stop all their mischief around my house.

I was always curious to know exactly what folks got out of chasing dogs around in the dark that were chasing a coon. I always thought it was an excuse to go out drinking with your buddies or to chase the skirts. So I went a few times and found it was mostly true. I did hunt with some serious guys once and we treed a few. Not much of a challenge shooting them out of a tree using a spot light. The guys I was with were more interested in hearing the dogs bark. I couldn't convince my self to appreciate the racket like they did. But hey, to each his own. I'm sure that they think I'm looney for deer hunting.

10. nvmyrangerz20

nvmyrangerz20 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2009
    West KY/TN border
    By far the best handling dog we ever had was a black and tan. i do like walkers to, but my black and tan was just an all around great dog. had em for 14 years before he passed. treed and killed alot of coons with him and had many more memories. havent coon hunted much sense that.:(

11. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Make this bite #2.

How are deer hunters killing coon hunting? Is it because we are tired of coonhunting clubs a.k.a tresspassers anonymous roaming all over the land we hunt.

Funny you should say this now, as Just yesterday I went to check my trail cams and low and behold guess what I had a pic of....
    .thats right, two coon hunters. Dogs on a leash, lantern and shotgun in hand. Right smack in the middle of my farm, right where I have one of my stands hanging. No way of getting there by accident. 7 pics of the two tresspassers at 0122.

Now according to my 2009 hunting regs not only are they tresspassers but they are also poachers seeing as the season doesnt come in until November 1st.

But I guess this is how us deer hunters are killing coon hunting, by sticking up for ourselves and taking control of what is ours.

Here is a idea, if you want to run your dog on my place, ASK!

12. SonnyT

SonnyT Spike

Dec 7, 2008
    you can run dogs year round but since they had a shotgun in hand thats kind of iffy

13. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    I know what the shakeout is. Gun in hand makes them poachers.

Being on my property at all makes them tresspassers. I dont care if they are allowed to run their dogs all year or not. Being a coonhunter doesnt give you the right to Tresspass.

14. BadDuck,

You got it all wrong. They own dogs and they like to hunt, you own land. They ain't hurting nothing, just having some fun. I guarantee they just wouldn't understand why it was a big deal. Heck you don't hunt at night. Besides your just being stingy. Are you one of those guys that doesn't like to share the woods with fellow hunters?:rolleyes:

Surely you know I'm being sarcastic but the real shame is that there are many who have that mentality. I recently gave up a good property lease because I just couldn't handle getting more pictures of coon dogs and coon hunters than deer. The land owner wouldn't help because he was afraid that if he made them mad they'd burn him out. I would bet that tresspassing coon hunters have done more to sour land owners to granting permission to hunt than any other group of hunters.

15. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    Can I coon hunt on your property?