Duke traps

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Drew6859, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    Start off by saying I'm new to trapping and just looking for opinions on duke #3 coil spring traps, i purchased 6 last week an after night latching them all and adjusting pan tension,only other mod I see is I'm goin to change the chains and add crunch proof swivels. seem like a good trap for the money with afew mods. Like to hear some of the more experienced trappers opinions before I purchase 12 more mainly going to be trapping for coyote, bobcat, and grey fox since these are what I've had on camera this year. Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    I think it's a good trap for the money, if you weld I would laminate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. _fletch_

_fletch_ 10 pointer

Jul 27, 2006
    Daviess Co. KY
    Those #3's are a good trap for the money, I'd wager. I've considered buying some of them several times. They have the maximum inside jaw spread for our state, at 6", and although MB 550's are my preferred trap, I'm also a fan of #2 Dukes. If they're like the #2's, probably a little sharp on the jaw edges, so like Strut said, might be good to laminate them and/or file the sharp edges. And I wonder if it might be a little hard on the greys???

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    Also considering Bridger #2 dog less 4 coil From f&t post I've read a lot of good reviews on them, of the two brands which would you all prefer?

5. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    I really like that Bridger #2 dogless. I bought a dozen last year fully modified. Wish they weren't off set but they are working real well for me.

6. Stilker

Stilker 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2015
    I use the MB 550 2 coil closed jaw and have had good luck with them so far.

7. erwin1

erwin1 10 pointer

Nov 6, 2008
    lewis co
    We use Duke #3's and like them very much

8. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Dukes leave a lot more foot damage than most without laminations.