Duck numbers

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Wampuscat, Jan 3, 2020.

1. damon kustes

damon kustes 6 pointer

Jan 16, 2002
    louisville
    Guys ,the ducks don’t exist that they are telling us there is. The blame goes to the USFWS for allowing a six duck limit for many years now. The guys hauling out a limit of six ducks are really killing 8 or9 due to the ineffective knock down power of steel shot.
    Years ago we could shoot lead..good stuff..ducks didn’t fly off and drop dead a half mile away.
    Back then there was the point system. Each duck was given a value and once a hunter reached 100 they were done for the day. Black ducks were 100 points, mallards 25.
    When that system was in place ,duck values were adjusted EVERY year based on physical surveys. Not by some computer model.
    They can’t convince me the permanent six duck limit hasn’t taken its toll. I have duck hunted since 1977 and the hunting has really dropped off since the point system was discontinued.
    The gov agencies are motivated by job security these days instead of being concerned about the resource(license sales).
    Until we demand reduced harvest limits you better just be satisfied with how it is now.

Just my observation...

2. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Duck Dynasty hunters can't do math. They've all grown up on common core. They wouldn't have points figured out till nightfall.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Sometimes the game wardens couldn't figure it out either....

4. nat103

nat103 Spike

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky
    be interesting to compare overall harvest numbers over the years. There’s less people hunting and I don’t know many people that are consistently killing a limit

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  5. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Wouldn't they all be listed as threatened, endangered, and whatever else, if true?

6. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

Not necessarily

7. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Do you truly believe liberals would permit that to fly (pun intended)?

8. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    With them,anything is possible. Do I think there are record duck numbers? No. Do I think there are plenty of ducks? Yes.

My take is 2 fold.

1. Man has permanently changed natural migration paths for the last 150 or so years. We have drained wetlands and dredged rivers. In order to fix the natural order of things, we have created unnatural wetlands for massive numbers of ducks congregate and stay.

2. Ducks have an internal compass. If you look, over the last century, true north has changed by several degrees. The flyway has shifted west, merging the Mississippi and Central flyways. Is that shift permanent? Maybe, maybe not. It will depend on pressure, I suppose.

3. This is not mine but it makes sense.

Ducks patterns ebb and flow a 10 year cycle. We are in the middle of that cycle and seeing a drought. In a few years, things will shift back.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  9. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.

They are threatened but not in much danger where I hunt.

Big Snuff and 1wildcatfan like this.
  10. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky

I agree with this however I must add that in the 70’s I never saw an Eagle , in the 80’s it was very rare,in the 90’s rare, and they have been more common in the last 20 years to the point that I can expect to see one every day.
    I don’t know if it’s because of the lead ban or the ban on DDT etc.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  11. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky

Yes I believe that the “Big Ditch” project as well as the Mississippi River levee system from St. Louis to New Orleans have had an enormous on not only the ducks but all types of fish ,birds,and animals .....including humans. Thank you ACOE and Federal Govt.

12. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I haven't hunted near as long as some of you but all I've ever known is 60 day-6 duck seasons. I'm not a wildlife biologist but if changes are made to the States, they better be made to Canada too. If you compared numbers of Canada hunters now vs. 10 years ago, I'd say the numbers have doubled. The number of outfitters have probably tripled in that amount of time too. We can point blame at a lot of things but it still all comes down to weather. We need weather in KY to have/move ducks. If you've watched the jet stream, it's been wrong all season. These systems have moved west-east instead of coming out of Canada and it's been this way for 2 years.

Bee, Giveem3outdoors and Brsutton86 like this.
  13. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    We had alot of local ducks here all year on the lakes and such in my area. Early in season I think most the guys around me are killing local mallards and just think its migrating birds. So many new hunters and every water hole being hunted now I think the local population is about gone and that's why we see practically nothing when we have no big cold fronts to bring the birds down. Next weeks forecast looks promising! I'm out scouting now, theres a few around finally.

nat103 and Bee like this.
  14. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I was talking with Goodin yesterday and local ducks. We don't see as many "local" ducks here like the central and eastern portion of the state does. You seen guys the first weekend of the first and second split killing lots of mallards on farm ponds. That just doesn't happen around here. We get more migrations but it's always spotty. It seems like the local population is doing well and a lot of folks are killing them. Golf courses and subdivisions are only going to help that local population.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  15. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

I've noticed that what we used to call Marina Mallards are few and far between these days on Ky and Barkley. I don't hunt the lakes much because of the lack of grass. With a good grass year, the gadwall used to be in the 1,000s on the lakes where it grew.