Drum count/ Up north?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Happy Camper, May 31, 2016.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    I

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    Last years report for Minn. was released on June 17. I think they all are done in that time frame.

3. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    I saw Wisconsin's yesterday. Over the whole state, drumming was up 1%. In the northern region, it was up 4%. In the central region, it was up 8% from last year. The southwest region was down a lot.

4. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    I don't want to sound stupid, but what is meant by a drum count? Thanks

5. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

The quick version is ... it's a way for the DNR to measure how many adult breeding birds survived the winter compared to previous years. There will then be a Brood Survey later to determine how successful the breeding season was to get an overall estimate of bird numbers going into the hunting season.

6. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    Thanks for the explanation, I thought it was something to do with grouse hunting, just wanted to ask. Not much of a bird Hunter except for turkeys. Thanks again

7. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

You're welcome. Most non-grouse hunters have no idea the thousands of southern hunters that travel north to hunt each fall and these surveys give somewhat of a guide as to which areas have the highest concentrations of birds in a given year.

8. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Seen 3 yesterday that were close to the size of their mother best I could tell. I don't know if that's a normal hatch rate or not, but it's better than seeing 0.