Dropaway not falling fast enough

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by xtremewhitetail, May 28, 2012.

1. xtremewhitetail

xtremewhitetail Spike

Jun 18, 2009
    whitesburg,ky
    Arrow flight is awfull tryed everything!!

2. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    Which rest? Something must have changed. Need a lil' more info. Is this a new set up? Or a condition just developed.

3. bowhuntinslife

bowhuntinslife 8 pointer

Aug 19, 2004
    B.G., Ky.
    which rest? also is it a dual cam or single cam?

4. xtremewhitetail

xtremewhitetail Spike

Jun 18, 2009
    whitesburg,ky
    It's a QDA and the now is a crx 32

5. nutcase

nutcase 8 pointer

Sep 27, 2004
    Murray, Ky
    Unless the QAD is broke, that is not the issue, QAD can be run on bows with IBO speeds that far exceed the crx 32's. It can be a few different things,
    in no particular order
    1. the rest is timed wrong
    2. the cord is too high on the cable
    3. cams are bad out of time, yes it happens to hoyts
    4. rest needs the TL1 launcher
    5. You are creeping when you shoot

6. bowhuntinslife

bowhuntinslife 8 pointer

Aug 19, 2004
    B.G., Ky.
    nutcase hit nail on the head, TL1 Launcher is were id start if not already in there as it aids in more clearance anyway(1/8" taller in valley of launcher) and the next would be cam timing and rotation espically if its factory strings cuz hoyts will stretch like 95% of factory strings.

7. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

6. Arrow spine is incorrect.

I would start with bow timing, then rest timing.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Did you change your draw weight?

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've ran a QAD Hunter going on 4 years now with absolutely no issues..... and its the cheaper of their series.

Definitely not as experienced with them as Nutcase is... but the list he gave and Keiths addition would be spot on as possible reasons.

First....just from my experience with one....you need to remember at full draw the rest / launcher arm needs to be a little beyond 90 degrees to work properly. You dont want to be really torquing it back at full draw so hard it may damage the rest...but basically enough to fully activate. Also ... not problematic... but the small plastic piece you tighten to the bows down cable & actual drop cord ...if overtightened they can crack...and not hold in place securely. I've had this happen once and cause the piece to slip up the cable.......which again... causes the launcher at full draw to not be beyond 90 degrees.

Second.... the proper launcher ...especially if your using "blazer" type vanes. I still shoot feathers LOL...but the one that came on mine was barely clearing when dropped. A little later on I ordered a couple of launcher arms and cable kits from QAD... what they sent me was much better. I'm just guessing...but their probably the TL-1 launcher.

Third... 3 of the 5 on Nutcase list can be caused by string / cable stretch. Rest timing / cord too high on cable... and cam timing.... to be specific. Overall ...if you've been shooting in the heat or basically if everything was OK from the get-go ...before the string was broke in... good chance things have changed...including your knocking point. I'd check the bows specs...A to A length....timing marks on cams..ect...just to make sure things are where they need to be.

As mentioned...changing draw weight...changing arrows...all have their effect ...and on each other.

Hope you get things worked out ... QAD's are really good rest in my opinion.

10. outdoor-addict

outdoor-addict 6 pointer

Jul 12, 2010
    I ran into the same situation with the lower end QAD on my Z7 and bow man told me to move my loop up 1/4 inch higher than level, seemed to work

11. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    This is what I did on my destroyer but I still had slight touching. Finally switched to a limb driver.

12. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    From what I've been reading the limb driven rest are faster and operate better. This is only what I've read. Im going to order a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro for my new bow so I will see how it does. It can be attached to the upper limb, lower limb, up cable or down cable. QAD has a good following too so it must be a good rest.

13. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Limb driver rip cord qad are all good rests. They just have to be adjusted right.

14. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    How are your fletchings oriented??

Blazers and other tall fletching usually need to be shot cock vane up on Qad's.

15. outdoor-addict

outdoor-addict 6 pointer

Jul 12, 2010
    x2.....definatley shoot odd vane up and make sure rest is timed correctly when at full draw