Drink Preparation for hot weather camping

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by rcurry, Jun 27, 2012.

1. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    I’m getting ready to do a kayak camping trip in an area that has a burn ban in effect. No campfires or cooking stoves will be allowed. I have food items that will be simple, filling and require no fire.

I do have a few questions about another area of the preparations I am considering and would like some feedback from those of you with experience in this department.

I’ll start out by saying I always take more than enough water. (All of the water is frozen and serves two purposes, ice until it melts then hydration.) My question involves keeping beer & wine cold.

I know when cans of beer are left outside in a garage in freezing temps, the cans expand and whenever the beer is found in the spring it’s ruined. I don’t know about wine when or if it will freeze.

What do you think? Anyway to freeze beer, wine in water bladders to be able to sip on it when it thaws without it tasting awful? Other suggestions are welcomed.

2. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
  3. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Didn't know they can ban cook stoves. That's a bunch of crap! Good luck with the beer & wine.

4. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    Sippin whiskey is in the "snake bite kit". ;)

5. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    I've never had a beer last from winter to spring. I've drank them from slushy texture to tool box cool. Right now I'm having one on the John.

If cooking isn't an option id
    A) not know the ban was in effect
    B) take peanut butter and jelly and pre cooked bacon for Blt. Summer sausage is always good too.
    C) not go

Personally leaning towards a or c.

6. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

This is why I have a canoe instead of a kayak. Finding room for a cooler full of beer isn't an issue.

You could always just hang the beer in the river to keep it somewhat cool. Won't be as good as one out of the cooler, but it's better than nothing.

Bourbon is probably the best bet though.

7. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    It's just a two day trip and there are all kinds of options for foods that don't have to be blazed on a fire. I'm good to go on the food!
    Thats not my preparation dilemma /question. :D

Everything going in my drink cooler, liquor included, is pre-chilled. The trouble is you can never have enough ice on summer kayak trips. I was just trying to stretch the ice as far as possible. I could go with the frozen margarita method as I have done that previously with success. But with the weather hot as a firecracker I really would prefer cold beer (or cold wine) vs a cold margarita.

8. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    What about dry ice? Don't know if it will melt to quickly or not, but it melts a whole heck of a lot slower than regular ice. In a cooler with regular ice as well i would think a decent hunk of dry ice would last 2 days. You will want to seal the dry ice separate (ziplock bag?) from regular ice if you are going to use the melted water as I think it may be toxic to consume.

9. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    One of my friends asks me about dry ice for this trip. I’ve never done anything with it before and would want to do a little test run at home before I give it a whirl out on a river trip. My internet research on it was interesting. Below is something I found fascinating, although I have NO idea at all if it is true or would work.

(copied from the interwebs below)
    mike says :
    We have successfully experimented with the two-cooler approach to using dry ice for camping and sailing excursions.
    Here’s the formula. Start with eight 1-liter soft drink bottles filled with water and frozen at home. Put four of the bottles in your food-and-drink cooler. The other four go in a second cooler, with the rest of its volume entirely filled with dry ice. Then you simply switch the ice bottles, rotating the four thawed bottles to the dry ice cooler and the four frozen bottles to the food cooler.
    In effect, you’re using the dry ice to “make ice” for your food cooler. We also keep an ice cube tray in the dry ice cooler for cocktails.
    We haven’t had a plastic cooler crack. But a plastic cooler entirely filled with dry ice will make ice on the OUTSIDE just from condensation in the air. There’s really not much insulation in those plastic coolers.
    Because of that I’m building a dry ice cooler with fiberglass and plywood — an inner box and an outer box, separated by 1.5 inches of high-tech solid insulation. I expect it to be capable of “making ice” for 8 to 12 days. And yes, it will be vented to deal with condensation when the dry ice sublimates (that’s the word that describes what happens when a solid converts to a gas).
    (copied from the interwebs above)

If any of you have used dry ice I would love to get some feedback about it. When I did a search of places to purchase it, Louisville, Lexington and Nashville popped up. So far it seems there is no place to obtain it in South Central Kentucky. Again, feedback would be appreciated on dry ice!

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    On a 2 day trip, you can keep ice if you can make room for 2 coolers.

Fill one with a day's worth of drinks and food items that must be cool. Ice them down. In the second cooler, fill it with soda bottles or milk jugs of frozen water. Wrap this cooler in a blanket and keep it out of direct sun. Only get ice out of it at night to resupply your drinks cooler, and wrap it back up quickly. It'll last a couple of days if you take care of it.

11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I've used dry ice on a camping trip and it kept things cold for 4 days (and probably would have lasted longer, but it was only a 4 day trip). I used a full sized cooler and put the dry ice in the bottom then put the ice on top of that--we put a small amount of ice on top dry ice then put the items in, then the rest of the ice on top. That way the items didn't contact the dry ice directly. We also pre-chilled everything before adding it. Granted this won't matter to you on a float trip since you won't be able to do it, but I concluded that for the cost of the dry ice, it would have been cheaper had I just replenished the water-based ice each day. The results would have been the same.

12. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    What about the ice packs you use on a sprain, the kind you get at a drug store. May cost to much for several of them though. Just a thought.

13. Get a good enough cooler and your ice will last several days

14. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    Pretty expensive, but a YETI cooler will keep ice for 5 days, even here in Florida.....
    gatorgrowl

15. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Wine freezes at a little lower temp than beer. It freezes at lower 20's, beer at upper 20's.

If you have a deep freezer and room, put you cooler in freezer and add 4-5 inches of water. Freeze you a base to start with.