Dove seem to be moving into KY

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Travis Thacker, Sep 13, 2021 at 11:43 AM.

1. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker Fawn

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    I figured I would try the public lease again on Sunday. When I first got into the field it seemed dead to the world but after taking a single shot on a passing bird there were probably 20 to 30 birds that came out of the tree line in all directions.
    Maybe 7-10 people showed up for the evening hunt, of course we all had high miss % and I lost another bird in the high grass. A father and son team did pretty good with a 4 bird total and about 16 shells each spent. I had fun watching the man's son take birds, I would just let the longer passing birds go by and watch him shoot them. One bird seemed like it would never go down, 3-4 shots including one shot that I slung out at it that I know hit the bird.
    Went ahead and switched out my Modified choke for the Full choke. That particular field has plenty of birds but they are real shy even with my decoys out and a mojo that the father and son team brought with them the birds would not land or get low in the field. Always 30-40-50 yards away and moving at 3/4 to max speed.

2. bearleft

bearleft 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2014
    La Grange KY
    I hope your right!
    I've been out to public fields 6 times so far this year, last week was really slow.
    I'll give it another shot after the the next front moves through and hopefully find some private land to hunt.

3. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker Fawn

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    I should have changed out the Modified barrel for the Full choke after the opening weekend but I waited to do so. I have only went 4 total trips to the same public field. It always has at least 10-20 birds flying in and around the tree line but they have tons of cover to land on and lots of spots to sit and watch you set up. When they decoy to a mojo or decoys they will see you at 40-50 yards out and turn in flight making a giant curve. They only shots they seem to offer are 90 degree long crossing shots or fast over head from behind you. The birds will sit in the trees behind you and watch your spread + decoys and wait for movement or shots. When you shoot once they fly but not over the field much, usually over the tree line just out of range.
    If no one else is in the field or only a couple hunters it's easy to figure out. Just wait them out and they will eventually feel safe and decoy into the spread one by one in late afternoon around 4-6PM. If people start shooting at the high birds and missing it's all over real fast in about 30-45 min. Usually more then 3-6 shots fired and the birds hang up and go even higher in flight. So high that it's pointless with anything other then a 10 or 12 gauge with full choke.
    Geese flying over a lot in my local area in the AM and PM.

4. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Earth
    Last week they were flying so high and fast, a 3 /12" 12 gauge wouldn't have been any help...

5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I cut a field of hay about a week ago...drove in there hauling out hay rolls yesterday and today. Doves on the ground everywhere; sure were eating something good.
    They immediately hit the treeline 150 yd away.

6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Which field? Just curious. I know a fella that might would come kill a couple for ya.