Dove season opener

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Jacobhwrd, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I have always enjoyed dove season especially opening day. While I was in the military there was the better part of a decade I wasn't able to go but even before that I don't remember it ever being on a Tuesday. Why can't they just open it on the Saturday before before deer season? Is there a legal issue with opening in August?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Tuesday? Guess I'm gonna have to burn a vacation day.

3. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I am with you. I won't be at work that day either. Little brother is cutting classes that day because of it also.

4. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

It is always on the 1st, Indiana is the same way.

5. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 8 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    I like the 1st as the opener just because I always look forward to it. Understand though for those that have to work. I too will have to work but maybe get a few that evening.

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    It is always on the first and yes the migratory bird seasons (woodcock, dove, teal,etc.) are not allowed to start before 9/1. I think the only exception is there used to be some resident goose early seasons in other states in August.

7. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Yep, nothing new. Sure does make it nice for self employed to get a headstart on the weekend warriors. Just wish they wouldnt have switched wood duck to opening on a sat.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I wish they would open it for crossbows first. :grumpy:

9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Ready for tomorrow. Got my back pack packed and my cooler pack with food and water

10. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I have the same thing ready. I am headed out to hunt crow from sunrise to 10 then take a break and set up dove. Lol now my truck is full of everything for tomorrow. Crow decoy bag, dove decoy bag, cooler, fox pro bag with call and blind and seat. Sadly I wish I had more stuff

11. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Wow. Went to the hunt I've been going to opening day for 30 years...never not had an easy limit. these guys are serious and pretty good at it. Killed two. Wow. Didn't think it was possible.

12. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Drove past one public field and said screw that. Looked like a parking lot. Way to many guns on that little patch of ground. Went to another wma and scratched out 6 birds before my alergies said it was time to leave. Going to shoot some private fields this weekend that aren't being hunted this week.

13. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Pretty much the same luck for us. Hit a public dove field first (we shot limits off it last year, probably took over 1,000 birds opening day last year) never fired a shot. Left there and went to a private shoot that has been going on for 15yrs, always a limit. I shot maybe 15 times and killed 5. Nobody got a limit, most were in the 3-5 bird range. Winter wheat field harvested and sun flower field cut in strips...... Very slow for us.

14. bpro

bpro Fawn

Dec 30, 2014
    NoKY
    Did my first public land hunt for doves at Lloyd WMA. Unbelievable how many shooters were in that field. I managed to kill 12 birds before heat and low blood sugar sent me home. My brother was set up forty feet away and only managed two. Good thing he bet me that I couldn't bag as many as he did... It was nice to sit back in the evening and watch him clean my birds while I sipped a cold one....

15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Went to a public shoot. To many hunters in the small field. A lot of sky busting and a lot of Birds lost by people shooting them over a standing corn field and not finding them and some not even going to look for them. Suppose to be non toxic shoot but there was SOME LEAD in the field.
    Getting shots was tough and you did hit a Bird and it was falling it got shot 2 or 3 more times before it hit the ground. After about 3 hours me and Cuz moved to a spot in a corner where two guys had left.
    We had a bird a piece finished out with a limit there. Think this will be my last WMA public shoot.
    After hunting a few WMAs over there years it isn't safe any more. To many hunters for the field and a lot of low birds shot at.