Dove hunting in southeastern Kentucky ?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by kc4sox, Apr 1, 2020.

1. kc4sox

kc4sox 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2014
    London Kentucky
    My wife and I built a house and moved to London Ky. 4 years ago from East Tennessee. Where I am from dove hunting is a big thing. Lots of good private shoots and public land hunts sponsored by TWRA. I have yet to find anywhere decent to hunt doves around here. Am I missing something ? If anyone can help me find ground to hunt doves I’d be in your debt. Oh, retired ( 61 years young) Paramedic / Fire Fighter if that matters lol.

Thanks in advance.
    kc4sox

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    There is a few public fields . I grow one and I have not heard back fro Fish and Wildlife if they are going to have public fields this year.
    It would be to expensive for one small group to pay for a field of their own to hunt doves on.

3. kc4sox

kc4sox 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2014
    London Kentucky

Most of the fields we hunted were cut corn that landowners either leased to TWRA or simply allowed hunting.

4. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 10 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    They will have more public fields this year than in the past few years. Hopefully your farm gets leased.

5. Some of the best dove shoots I have attended were held at the county landfill on the weekend when they were closed. They cover and seed as they fill an area and the doves swarmed like bees. Another great option is if you can find some recently reclaimed stripmine land. I know there were/are mines near Corbin which would be a good fit. Again the reclaim process requires seeding. Since it is part of that agricultural process, it is not illegal baiting. Last option is to ask local sportsman clubs if they organize any hunts.

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Fish and Wildlife told me yesterday no dove fields this year .
    They may change their mind , who knows.

7. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 10 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Hopefully not the case.