Dove hunt for Dad

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Tonylever, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Tonylever

Tonylever Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    Hey all I'm new to the Forum any help would be appreciated. I'm looking for a good dove field to take my dad hunting on. That's the only hunting I can get him to do with Me anymore. It's been years since we've been on a good shoot, we've tried the public fields and have been less than impressed. We live in the Elizabethtown area but don't mind driving a little bit, I'd be willing to pay for the right opportunity. Thanks in advance

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    welcome. are you related to Tonyinky? famous elk hunter on here.

elkaholic likes this.
  3. Tonylever

Tonylever Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    No catfan no relation but with a name like that he's got to be a good guy

Nock, muddhunter and 1wildcatfan like this.
  4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    The best.

elkaholic and hunt like this.
  5. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Tonyinky is a legend

elkaholic likes this.
  6. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    a Dove field is fun, finding a good one, another story. search other public fields, outside of E-town, or, put out the word to your friends, that know friends.
    some people put out the big sun flowers, that attract doves.

7. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Look in the Kentucky Dove Hunting guide . There will be public fields listed with directions to each field.
    I remind you these are open to the public and can be crowded the first three hunting days, then after that hunters seem to disappear.

The field I am growing looks like crap . It was wet when I tried to get my field planted from all the left over growth from last year. This field flooded last year and made planting this past spring nearly impossible . We tried to burn off the heavy growth but it would not hardly burn.
    When we went to burn they had a burn order out for no burning . I set some fires and a person that knew my son sent him a message that burning was illegal and it was a $25000 fine. He was on the fire department in a different county and we knew he was going to call the law.
    Last year I was burning and I believe this may have been the same idiot that stopped in and told me that there was a burn ban and someone had called the fire department. Some of those on fire departments just look for a reason to make a fire run.
    Anyway I planted sunflowers and millet . The millet did not come up again this year but there is plenty of plain foxtail. I sprayed the sunflowers but with all this rain they jumped up and went to start making heads so I did not spray again.
    Three years ago I had the best public field around . It was a good one and all sunflowers. Hunters packed the field and from counting cars and trucks , we are estimating there was over 150 hunters in that field at one time.
    I cut hay around this field and the field was full of doves already. I would say they are after the foxtail seeds.

8. Tonylever

Tonylever Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all the response. Yeah I've tried several public fields over the years, not just around Etown and yeah I've been there on opening day and several days after I haven't been impressed with any of them I have checked with my few hunting friends with no success I was hoping someone here might have room for a couple extra guys

9. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Where are you all located?

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

He dove hunts with rocks.

elkaholic and bondhu like this.
  11. Tonylever

Tonylever Fawn

Jul 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    Upton

12. DBKY

DBKY Spike

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
    Tony traded me his super Redhawk last winter for a shirt.

carnivore and hunt like this.
  13. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker Fawn

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Wish I could be of more help but here is all I know. For the last 4 years running I have tried the KDFWR public fields.....mainly the one off Exit 95 I/75 near Lexington above Richmond. The first year I hunted it 2017 it was only myself and 2 other guys hunting it all season and it rocked! They had done the youth hunt mentor thing 1-3 and so opening week-end it was closed for all other people. The pressure the next year 2018 was so bad that i left the field before ever firing off a single shot........so bad in fact that we got there early and waited in the lot at 930AM shooting was not allowed until 1130AM and by that time at least 300 people or more had showed up. It was shoulder to shoulder with disrespectful people cutting in front of peoples shooting lanes and just frankly being a time bastard by bringing 2 guns for them and their wives or offspring and enough Beer to fully drunken the entire lot of shooters. Not that I am opposed to Beer but not with that many people and guns in the mix .............accident waiting to happen, no F&W were present at all, total waste of tax payer dime and safety risk to all that were there.
    Now here is the bright side. Monday morning sept 2018 after the opener, I was the only person hunting that field that day and got 10 birds before turning home for the day. The next downside is that since all the nasty trash left all their little trash and shells laying around the Federal Forest Service and Fish and Wildlife Service have now made that field a Steel Shot Only or Non-Tox Shot only field.............good luck finding 28 gauge Steel Shot or Bismuth cheap or in a hurry right now for 2019. No one has Bismuth yet its all on back order or waiting and Steel is junk in small gauge like a .410 or 28 gauge. I specifically bought up 500 rounds of #8.5 and #7.5 AAHS shells for Dove 3 years ago and to reload for other uses. It makes me so angry that nasty fudds wont clean up and I try my best to pick up spent shells and even wads left over after the shooting. That farmer who owns that tract does a killer job .............lots of Turkey, birds, Dove, Even a few fly over Geese but no water near by other then a cattle pond for them to drink from................so why did they make it Steel Shot only??? I will tell you why..........they did that to cut down on all the riff raff and hundreds of trash folks that showed up and made a damn mess in that field. It's the only central field away from water with no waterfowl present that requires Steel Shot and it's new for 2019 year. If I had known this in April 2019 i would not have bought 50$ worth of Migratory Bird tags and stamps and junk. i'm not buying Steel Shot to replace the Lead I already have for 28 and 20 gauge guns.

14. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    you might check backridge ammunition