Dove Field

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Rob7, May 14, 2021.

1. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    We had the crust over issue last year after a big rain after planting, they finally came up after about 3-4 weeks, was worried at first but they finally made their way out. Guessing 80-90% came up which was good enough for our purposes.

2. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Yes finger pick up. The same meters we use to plant corn. Peredovics seem to have bigger seed and won't drop 2 as often but it still happens. This seems to work well.

3. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    If you have access to a rotary hoe/aerator, they work wonders on crusted ground. You can even run it over planted crops and won't damage the plant.

bigbonner likes this.
  4. cdalle6

cdalle6 6 pointer

Sep 13, 2009
    KY
    I broadcasted them out, and then drug a cattle panel section behind my tractor several times hoping to cover them and pack them down. I would say they are more like .5”-.75” down if I was guessing. I do not have access to a planter, yet.

5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I am still looking at planters and I want a no-till. I was wondering how well the finger pick ups did.
    I was using those high priced clearfield sunflowers and the fist year the weeds was gone but after that I can not control weed in them with Beyond weed killer. This is why I went to Predovic sunflowers.

I also need a rotary hoe for crusty ground.

6. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Put down pre-emergence after planting but before they spout. Dual/Spartan or Broadaxe work extremely well.

7. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have had nothing but wet / flood drenching past several years and nothing seems to work .
    It is hard for me to use Broadaxe because I have to plant half in sunflowers and half in Millet and Broadaxe will kill millet
    Right now I need rain badly.

8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I’ve got one I’ll damn near giveaway to get it off the trailer if anyone needs it.
    Got our sunflowers in the ground Saturday. $20 a pound plus prices of these shotgun shells, Gonna be some high dollar birds

9. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Post some pictures of your hoe and price her.
    May be interested.

10. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    On separate thread now

11. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Just made classifieds add

12. spotterky

spotterky 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2004
    I do mine fields the same way Rob7 does. Work my ground up, fertilize, apply Spartan and Prowl pre-emergents, then I incorporate it into the soil with one more light pass with the disc. I plant with a two row planter. I have one that is plateless and one that uses plates, it just depends on which one is working when I need it. I didnt use Clearfield this year since the seed is expensive and I usually dont have broadleaf problems that Beyond herbicide does much damage to anyway.
    A nice step is a cultivating a few times if you have the equipment. I have an old Farmall 140 that I use. A little spraying of Select or another grass killer when the sunflowers are shin high, and then lots of prayers.

Rob7, bigbonner and HeadedWest like this.
  13. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Sprayed with Lightning this afternoon.
    Double sprayed a few areas where the Johnson Grass is thriving.
    Sunflowers came up really well this year. Weeds are doing great as well, hopefully the lightning will knock em back.
    Wondering if it would be worth it to now spray with Select?
    Sunflower.jpg

HeadedWest likes this.
  14. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Better check and see if Clearfield sunflowers can or can not be sprayed with Select. I am thinking no.

Half of my sunflowers did not come up but the field still look decent so far.
    I had to order the Dove Proso millet and it look the best I have ever had to come up. Last few years the Millet would not germinate like it should have.
    Last year Dove Proso was none to be found , only found the white Proso Millet last year.
    I have a 2.5 acre field that had butter cups or something come up and it died out and today I was mowing hay around that field and doves was everywhere. It would have made a great field to dove shoot in but I am sure the seeds would be gone by September 1st

Rob7 likes this.
  15. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I checked my field last night. I sprayed about 2 weeks ago with Clethodim and controlled the johnson grass. Big win there. Now the nightshade is coming in strong. I have no idea what to do there. Mine aren't clearfield sunflowers but lightning wouldn't touch them anyway. I may just hook to the cultivators and try to drag them over it later this week. So far, Google research hasn't helped much.

Rob7 likes this.