Dove field planted

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Capttrae, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    My dad finally sold off about half of his cussed cows, I’d jokingly been telling him for the past 10-12 years if he ever did first thing I was going to do was take over one of his smaller fields and convert it in to something useful, tbh he loved messing with them old cows. Anyway he’s started slowing down and decided to sell off 50-60 head. Once he did I asked if he minded if I did actually use one of his small fields for a dove field. He said go ahead so I disced up 6-7 acers and planted brown top millet Saturday. Hopefully it’ll turn out good. If so I’ve invited a few friends from up here and a couple from Fl to meet up at my house in South Al for a “memorial type” hunt for one of our friends opening weekend of dove season.

2. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Haha from what I can tell about all cattle around here get cussed daily, some of em worse:eek: I'm glad their as stubborn as the cows because I like to know where my beef comes from. Sure, I'll eat a Frisco burger here n there but definitely not daily.
    Goodluck with the doves. I made a half assed attempt several years ago and failed miserably. Deer clipped my sunflowers down like a disc mower and the milo got stunted or something and didn't head out like it should. Not enough dove in my area to justify another attempt. I would like to go to a field one of these days tho, looks fun and laid back.

3. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 8 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    Any updates on your millet? I’ve been planting sunflowers for the last 3 years. Thought about adding some millet into a section of my field to go with the sunflowers. Just wondering if it’s any easier to keep weeds out of them than sunflowers?

4. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Looks great prolly 90-95% seed production. Good many weeds but I expected that. Should be ready to mow by the time I head back to work but going to wait 2 more weeks, then going to mow strips 2 cutter widths wide, then skip 2 cutters width from top to bottom for this dove shoot when I first get off, then cut the rest while I’m at work the next hitch for another shoot, then drill in winter wheat and rye for a greenfield.

5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Thought I had a pic from today on my phone but sent it on Snapchat instead of text