Don't take the acorns for granted

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Duster, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

After this wierd spring I was sure the mast crop would take a big hit this year. Well it turns out thats not the case on several red oaks around my place. They have been falling like crazy this past couple weeks to the point it's dangerous to get anywhere near one of those trees or risk getting bopped on the head by acorns. The deer are eating them as fast as possable but can't keep up so far. If you have any red oaks in your hunting area make sure to check them out you may be in for a surprise. As in the past they are not hitting the corn feeder very heavy while the acorns are falling.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Duster,you hit the 12 ring with that advice,Red oaks are peppering the ground now.However for the past 2 weeks ,I have been picking up handfuls of acorns under trees in several areas and three different counties as I was scouting for muzzleloader.If you take your pocket knife and cut them open they are rotted,they look good on the ground but are not meaty inside like they normally are.I started picking up 10 at a time an 8 out of 10 were no good..........I guess deer will eat them regardless,as they may need all the food they can get this winter............you are right about hunting them,the deer are after them.........

3. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Many red oaks were due this year. How bout Whiteoaks?

4. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Red oaks take two years for their acorns to mature.. so what's hitting the ground right now are from last year and the reason that they are rotten from the freeze.

White oak acorns are annual so the freeze killed the buds this year... no white oak acorns.

The few red oaks that I have found around here that are dropping have no meat in the acorn and a lot of them are no bigger than a green pea. Ours have been dropping for around a month now.

I suspect next year (barring another late freeze) things will reverse and there will be nothing but white oaks.

5. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.
    I've got a new place to hunt that has both red and white--I checked some out and every one had a mature nut in them--at the time the deer were wearing out the red oak acorns--lots of new caps around one particular tree with a huge rub very close---guess where I'll be set up Sat.

6. DOGY

DOGY 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2005
    London, Ky.
    Got a lot of white oak on the land i hunt in laurel co,trees are full.:)

7. Thunder Head

Thunder Head 8 pointer

I have found read oaks that have meat in them and ones that were rotten on the inside. It will definatly pay you to check them. This is one of those years that you might find that magic tree that every deer for a half mile is coming to. GET OUT AND SCOUT!!!!