Dont shoot the hogs?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by woodsman92, Aug 15, 2019.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    A biologist on the meat eater podcast said we better just get used to feral hogs and learn how to deal with them....cause they ain’t going no where despite our best efforts.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    It’s like the old bull said: I got a better idea. Let’s walk down and scr** all of em.

Why not trap as many as I can, and THEN shoot them? Less fun, but more effective. If the goal is eradication, no-brainer.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  3. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    We have shot several on our farm. But I will say that when The Biologist came to trap the sounders we had there was a couple pigs that would not go near the trap door. These things are smart and learn fast. A pig that sees a trapped pig will never be trapped. The Biologist method is the best but when one walks by I can't let it walk. They have ruined our deer and turkey population.

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Where r u at? henry?

5. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    Yes. Henry County near Lockport

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I saw something coming through the woods once and couldn't tell what it was at first. Turns out to be 13 hogs all in the 200 pound range. I would have shot one if not for the fact they were all slick and pretty white hogs that had escaped my uncles hog lot.

Drahts likes this.
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    There’s been talk of wild hogs in Henry co. for several years

8. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    not good. tree huggers keep wrapping it up in lawsuits. Word from the FWC guys is the people pushing the hunt are backing off until the current governor is out of office before pushing for it again. It's bad to say but I wish one of the protestors could get mauled by a bear, not killed just chewed on a little. The problem is it will never happen unless one of them tries to hug a cub. We have WAY to many bears! I hear from hunters all the time that feeders have gotten destroyed. A lot of guys have changed to soybean in their feeders because the bears prefer the corn feeders. That all guys on private leases. We can't bait on public. Bear sightings in cities is going up we just had one in Lakeland near the airport. Their have been a couple in Orlando in the last couple of years. All of the biologist are screaming that we need to lower the bear population by a lot. They were completely caught off guard when we met the quota of bears they had set for a week hunt in ONE day our last hunt. I talk several of them for time to time for other reasons, but I tend to talk hunting and fishing with them once our work stuff is done. It's amazing how little this governors people listen to them.

9. woodsman92

woodsman92 Spike

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    If you dont mind my asking what county? South central is the area I live and hunt in, never heard of any hogs nearby

10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    If I ever see a pig while there is a gun in my hand I am shooting it.

11. DBKY

DBKY Spike

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
  12. DBKY

DBKY Spike

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
    I hate to hear that. It was pretty obvious to me just spending 4 or 5 days down there y’all had way to many bears. Kept hoping common sense would beat out the bleeding heart non sense.

Tufrthnails likes this.
  13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Put a bounty on 'em...people will hunt them every day.

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Are hog pelts worth anything.....other than the obvious pork rinds.

15. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Chicharrones, If ICE haven't raided them there's a little dive in Salina KS that fry chicharrones every morning at 9 am. Tell them you want the green sauce.
    Eattin them makes you feel like when, you found your dad's stash of playboys

Nock likes this.