Dont shoot the hogs?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by woodsman92, Aug 15, 2019.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Shooting one runs the rest off. Capturing them all is the goal. I guess i buy it.

If i see one though... its getting shot.
    If i see one and dont get a shot or see sign they are in the area im calling. What they don’t want is for people to to wait on calling and try to hunt them rather than call.

MoMan, elkaholic, barney and 2 others like this.
  2. woodsman92

woodsman92 Spike

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I will agree with you, I understand the concept and the reasoning, and if i ever see sign of wild hogs I will make the call. But if I get a shot oppurtunity on a hog you can bet I will take it. I do not want them here at all, if I want to hunt hogs I will happily go out of state to do it

elkaholic likes this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Yeah, there is no way in hell im not shooting a hog that happens by me. Just not going to happen lol

elkaholic likes this.
  4. woodsman92

woodsman92 Spike

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    And as far as I know its still perfectly legal to shoot wild pigs in ky year round. Thats how it was the last time I checked a guide. If im wrong please correct me as I havent gotten a guide for this year yet and havent reviewed the small section mentioning hogs in a few years, but I dont believe it changed

5. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    As long as you're not in Big South Fork (I think that's right), smoke em

6. DBKY

DBKY Spike

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
    These cats can barely read from a cue card how are they gonna get rid of the pigs?

MoMan, elkaholic and redlickranch like this.
  7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    The only way to control them is to shoot them every chance you get , to truly control them you also need to trap them.

In GA we trapped them and hunted them over corn year round..

And there are still too many.

elkaholic likes this.
  8. kraynky

kraynky Fawn

Dec 28, 2014
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I have yet to see a wild pig in the woods. About 25 years ago up in Henry County I saw a feeder sow and about 10-12 wee ones behind her, all rooting up "my deer acorns". I chased them off with a shot fired into a tree.

Nowadays if I see a hog, I'll treat it like I would a coyote. One round, right behind the ear. I don't know if they would be safe to eat year round, or if they're like rabbits, only cold weather feasting.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 at 9:25 AM
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Kill and eat year round.....

kyhunter99 likes this.
  10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Makes complete sense to me. Why kill one when you can systematically kill a generation?

Hey Terri Brunjes.....sup?

Soggy McBottom likes this.
  11. DBKY

DBKY Spike

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
    I’ve killed 3 around my place in south central KY. The boars smell like hell and both sexes are full of worms. I wouldn’t feed them to my dogs.

00noturkey likes this.
  12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I tend to agree, but I would quickly be making a phone call to make sure they brought out one of those nifty traps to get the remainders.

00noturkey likes this.
  13. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    shoot away if you got food they will be back. I've killed a lot more in one sitting then I care to admit on a public forum although it is completely legal her in FL to shoot and let lay. Trapping is truly the absolute best method to remove. you can build one easily if you have a problem with them. We use 6x6 cattle fence to make a pen with a drop gate attached to a trigger at the feed pile. Get them used to going in and out with the gate latched in place. when you think you are getting a good amount in the pen arm the gate and boom easy piggies. Seen traps slam full of them. Put a huge hurting on the pig population at a lease that my buddy was a member of. They complained about the pigs so I helped him build the trap and worked it every other weekend for a summer then they complained there weren't any pigs to hunt the following deer season. Go figure....

14. DBKY

DBKY Spike

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
    What’s the word on the bear hunt down there? Any chance they’ll have another hunt? Last time I was down there I saw several