Don't let them fool you...

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
Glad someone does...northern Indiana sure don't.

It's early.

"One big system"

You up far enough for lake effect snow? If so I predict an early heavy wet snow before or early in the season and then clearing. Your spot will fill.

I'm like a weather nostradamus, liek a a nostradanielus or something.

Mr. Blonde

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere outside Barstow
The data doesn't lie.

Illinois has water. And now so does Southern Indiana.

http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=il&w=map
http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=flood&r=il&w=map

The thought of ducks passing over them to hit KY is foolish. Don't sweat the water situation in WKY either. One big system will fill sloughs up.

Foolish my arse. Water don't have anything to do with it. Go back 5-6 years and when IL and MO didn't have any food due to spring flooding we were moping the floor with em in KY. They had plenty of water then just no food, just like this year. As dry as it was here this summer X2 it for anything northwest of us.

rsxnky02

6 pointer
Sep 11, 2011
Owensboro
From what I understand, southern indiana has zero corn from what i was told. A guy i know said while he was going through there and said they were bailing their corn? i sont know for sure but that doesnt look good. for them anyways.

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
Ducks only eat corn? This is news to me.

Dry slough is a slough full of food. Timely rain will set the buffet. Cold weather will push them off that kind of food in search of hot foods. Without cold weather the perceived lack of food (corn) doesn't mean much.

You slap the weather and the no corn together you might got something.

There is more "food" in some places than the ducks can eat. Water making it available to them is the key. It will rain.

trapnfool

6 pointer
Dec 11, 2005
webster county
From what I understand, southern indiana has zero corn from what i was told. A guy i know said while he was going through there and said they were bailing their corn? i sont know for sure but that doesnt look good. for them anyways.

Never take advice from Hoosiers. Everyone knows that.

tyshe17

12 pointer
May 4, 2007
It's early.

"One big system"

You up far enough for lake effect snow? If so I predict an early heavy wet snow before or early in the season and then clearing. Your spot will fill.

I'm like a weather nostradamus, liek a a nostradanielus or something.

Yes that far north. A good 2 day rain will give enough water...but only 3 weeks to get it.

tyshe17

12 pointer
May 4, 2007
Ditches are too low. Last report can only pump 7 hrs a day. Fields are tiled, so they drain quick and need 48-72 hrs solid to flood.

Mr. Blonde

Banned
Sep 13, 2009

Dry slough is a slough full of food. Timely rain will set the buffet. Cold weather will push them off that kind of food in search of hot foods. Without cold weather the perceived lack of food (corn) doesn't mean much.

There is more "food" in some places than the ducks can eat. Water making it available to them is the key. It will rain.

Nothing to do with corn. Ducks are creatures of habit. The fly as far south as they need to to be comfortable. Once they reach a destenation in a flyway they have been traveling for years and find no food or a small slough that has been ate out by the group before them, they are going to bounce on the next breeze that blows there direction. They are not going to fly east or west hoping to find food 500 miles east at a location they have never been. They are going to the next pit stop on there flyway just as they always do. The concept of ducks eating all this smartweed and other natural grasses is true except that in my opinion man has altered the ducks flyways so much with refuges and duck parks, that is what the majority of ducks rely on when making there grand passage. Also we as in you and myself dont live in any flyway to speak of. IMO most of the ducks that come through these parts are lost as Hogan's goat. If you think we get pushes of ducks through any area east of Owensboro than you my friend have never seen "flight" ducks.

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
IMO most of the ducks that come through these parts are lost as Hogan's goat. If you think we get pushes of ducks through any area east of Owensboro than you my friend have never seen "flight" ducks.

I'll agree with the flight ducks aspect of it.

But can also tell you that when a storm hits the northeast I will get covered up with blacks. They can book on down the coast if they want but for some reason they take off west and come here and either stay if they weather don't move them or book on down to Miss. I think we (as in KDFWR with our money) could pull the flyway back east some if they were inclined to do so. Missouri pulled it west. Why can't KY or IN pull it east some?

IMO the best thing that ever happened to MO duck hunting was Iowa corn farmers draining every low spot in sight.

Mr. Blonde

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
The best thing that ever happened to MOMO was Arkansas. The hands in MOMO just wised up enough to take full advantage of that fact. KY and IN cant pull the flyway back east due to the fact that Oklahoma and Kansas has know got on board with MOMO and have pulled they flyway that much farther west. We are set up this year as good as I have ever known KY to be. The ocean has been low enough to grow some vegetation. Big Sandy has a far crop out. Ballard, Carlisle, and Hickman counties have some food out even as dry as it was they are better off than IL and MOMO. The Foot set a record low which is good for ducks. The Jenny should be all growed up, not sure what the crops in Union county looks like by if you cant get it done this year hang it up. Unless there is hard freeze come end of December that last 3 weeks which would be a terrible misfortune.

rsxnky02

6 pointer
Sep 11, 2011
Owensboro

Your right, thats exactly what i said. fail.

I was saying this because union county always grows a bunch of corn and mows it down on their refuge to hold the ducks that they do. And dont say that they dont because I have literally watched them do it. I assume its the big goose egg on the geese so they are trying to keep the area alive. But I do know for a fact that no waterfowl will stay without food. Mallards only leave when they cant get to food. I agree 100% with feetdown. I think if they cant find food they will leave, and the ones that stay will be beat up by the people that find them up north. I think its gonna be a great season for us and SEMO.