Doing A Euro Mount, Any Tips & Help?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KnoxCoDeerHunter, Nov 20, 2008.

1. KnoxCoDeerHunter

KnoxCoDeerHunter 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2006
    Knox County
    Ive always wanted a euro mount, So this year I have finally gotten the chance, Has anyone ever did a skull mount before. Ive already got the skull and everything skinned out. Ive let it hang in my barn now for around 3 weeks. Ive heard from some friends that I need to boiled it,Then bleach it or boil it more? Have I already messed it up by just letting it hang and dry out? Any tips and help would be great thanks alot.

2. ky8tdhunter

ky8tdhunter Spike

Jan 31, 2004
    WESTERN, KY USA.
    euro

Put the head down in a tub of water with the horns out of it and put it away from the house usually in a barn or building u dont use (Make sure to tie the head to something just incase some animal tries to get it)and let it set a month or so. The smell will be bad but the meat and stuff will almost drop off. U can pressure wash most of it off when its time. LAter Ronnie

3. slimshad

slimshad 8 pointer

Oct 29, 2008
    USA
    I have three that I put in the ground. It takes longer, but you don't have to do anything. I put them ears and all. Aftre 8-10 months I dig it up clean it, paint it with pearl white spray paint. They look great. I also have one from a taxidermist, it looks better, but $150. Just bury it up to the antlers and cover with a big flower pot or buchel basket. I'll try to put a picture up.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Look up Van Dykes Taxidermy supplies on the internet and order a kit. I think a kit will do up to 3-4 skulls. I paid less than $25 if my memory serves me. You do what you've already done, boil it and a chemical mixture and clean/bleach it with some other chemical. It's simple and looks professional. PM me if you can't find it and I'll dig up one of my old catalogs.

5. 130orBust

130orBust 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2006
    KY
    Save yourself a lot of time and stink. Find someone with a powerful pressure washer and spray it down. It will peel the meat right off, clean as a whistle and take about 10 min. Then brush some 40 volume peroxide on it and sit it in the sun for a couple days.

6. Skyscraper

Skyscraper Fawn

Dec 19, 2007
    Hardin County
    Find someone with the beetle bugs. Nothing you try will look better.

7. WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi 12 pointer

Apr 13, 2005
    Richmond
    If you don't want to go the taxidermist route...

boil it until you get the eyes and brains out. Go to a swimming pool supplier and get the strongest peroxide they have. This will whiten the skull. DO NOT get it on you, it will burn you BAD.

www.skullsunlimited.com is a good place, but pricey. You get a LOT more nasal cavity detail with the dermestids than you do with boiling. The bugs really are the trick.

8. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    Dont know bout beetles, or burials, but I can tell you what does work for me. Take a metal bucket big enough to fit the skull in and fill it with water. Submerge the skull in the water AFTER skinning the skull and trimming it as good as you can. If you have a coleman stove, great if not borrow one or build a fire and have enough wood for a 6 hour or so burning. Boil the skull in the bucket for 4-6 hours taking it out every hour or so and trimming the meat off of it. With that much water my coleman stove wont bring it to a rapid boil, just a slow one. If a rapid boil is achieved it might take a little shorter duration. The meat will be progressively easier to remove. After getting it cleaned as good as you can, take it to the car wash and spray it off. BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE SMALL BONES ON THE TIP OF THE NOSE, these bones might come loose from the skull, make sure they dont go into the carwash drain!!! These can be superglued easily later. Go to the beauty supply store and get 40 VOLUME CREAM DEVELOPER. This is nothing but high octane peroxide. Dont get it on your hands, it burns like the devil! Take a brush and apply it liberally all over the skull (after it has dried from washing). Leave it for several hrs and wipe it off with a damp cloth. Do this about three times, and the skull will be as white as snow. Also, be sure not to get the cream developer on the antlers, just the skull. I guess you could apply laquer to it when done if you want, but I like the flat white look myself.

9. KYHeadHunter02

KYHeadHunter02 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2008
    20+ ft up
    You got some nice deer there slimshad! Looks like your running outta space on the walls!

10. KnoxCoDeerHunter

KnoxCoDeerHunter 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2006
    Knox County
    thanks alot guys, ive already got most of the meat and hide off, got the eyes and all that out, but i just couldnt figure out away to get the brain out. Quess ill try boiling it outside. Ill post pics and keep u all updated, thanks for all the help.​

11. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Elitist Bowhunter

Feb 17, 2004
    at the Elite Level
    Take a straight piece of wire coathanger. Put it in a cordless drill. Bend a small "hook" at the other end. Insert in the back of the skull where the spinal cord goes through. "Blend" up the brains, then pour them out.

12. DearDoctor

DearDoctor 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Newburgh, IN
    I did one two years ago and had the same problem. I took a hose with a nosel that had a jet spray and washed it out through the base of the skull. I wouldn't use a high pressure wash cause you may ruin some of the more delicate parts of the skull.

13. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    This is how mine turned out after boiling and using the peroxide developer. Like someone said, be careful with the high pressure hose, parts of the skull are delicate. You wont need to use it much if you boil it just in the base of skull to remove the brains.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    I use Dermestid beetles (started my own colony), then degrease (dawn) and soak in concentrated peroxide (Baquacil Oxide). Works good

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008