Dogs for coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Jhartley91, Sep 30, 2014.

1. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
  2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    0922120729a.jpg I don't have many pics of him with coyotes he just runs around pissin on everything after there dead, But I do have a few.

3. My cousin 4Paws does the same thing. As soon as he kills a coyote he goes to pissin on every thing. I think it's a gene he inherited from his Dad (PossumAl)!! LOL.

4. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    I got on Mr. Tebbe's Facebook. Gunner got killed in April when a pack of dogs attacked him in the yard while the family was gone. But I'm plannin on getting my wife's catahoula into decoy work. He is very smart and as a bay dog I think he will be aggressive when needed but also will listen when I recall him. I'm excited. He is just a pup now but in April he will be a year and I'll feel he will be big enough to hunt. Great time too with how protective coyotes are at that part of the year. Now I just gotta find places to hunt when we move up to Franklin co.

5. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    My wife's catahoula, our future decoy dog. The redbone is strictly for coons. No coyotes for her image.jpg

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The Ridgeback was used in Africa to track lions by scent and then bay them up until the hunter could get there to kill it. These dogs are game - very gritty. Below is a vid of a Rideback going up against an American badger. You can really see the baying instinct in the vid.

I'd say a lone coyote would have his work cut out for him with Ridgeback.

http://youtu.be/Dcc0EGjnDQc

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Thats a bad arse dog! The way it held on to that hog reminds me of a pit.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

8. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    There is a fellow up in Ohio who had an accidental breeding with his female Mt. Cur decoy dog and his Jack Russell. He has 9 pups and they will be tail docked and dew claws removed. Free to good homes. He is advertising on PM, and his name is roode301 (Steve Roode).

9. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    I know if I had another dog the wife would skin me alive. But I've been wondering what a catahoula/redbone would look like. I'm sure it would be a gamey dog but not sure what it would be good at.

10. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    They will run out of the country if you let em though. They say they can run for 20-30 miles non stop and their top speed is as fast as a horse. Every one I've ever seen had no fear.