Dogs for coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Jhartley91, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    I watched some videos on youtube and got the wife watchin a few. Next thing I knew she had the 5 month old catahoula outside startin to train him. She might be more excited that me. Now I just need to get ahold of a yote tail and I believe he will be ready to hunt by spring.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I watched some of the videos the other day after someone recommended them. They are awesome and that dog Gunner was amazing. Gunner locking onto the coyote was really cool.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I think gunner got killed a few months ago. I cant remember the details

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Arent you going out for a hunt with Tony this year Al? I think Ed said something about it last year while we were hunting.

5. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    I'm going to have to look into gunner gettin killed. I hate seeing any working dog get killed. We had a GSD on deployment that we always had to protect from the random huge afghan dogs running around.

6. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    No I am not. We talked about hunting together sometime, but no definite plans were made. That was about three years ago.

7. gunnar was killed by a pack of dogs that belonged to Tony's neighbor. Needless to say he was devastated.

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    my healer had a big coyote on its back and a good hold on its throat a few weeks ago. It came up in the yard an hour or two before dark. I called him off thinking it was maybe a neighbors dog. wish I wouldnt have. maybe should have trained him to be a yote hunter.

9. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    Wow, gunner got killed like that. I would need to move, that's horrible. It's. Shame seeing stuff like that. Wish I could send him some flowers or something

10. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    You should have let him finish that coyote off, and then rewarded him with a few treats. A healer with a death grip on a coyote is good stuff.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I couldnt remember what happend! But was sure he had been killed. He probably didnt play well with others and just got into a situation he couldnt handle alone. And without Tonys control never gave up. It sure is sad and im sure Tony is haveing a very hard time over it! My dog isnt agressive he has to rely on me to keep him safe. He stays close and wont chase them but they sure like seeing him its almost like they stop looking for any threat and just start thinking ok can i take that screaming animal away from him and thats just enough time for me to give them the answer.

12. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    I've always enjoyed working with dogs and never considered a "coyote dog" before but after reading this thread and watching the youtube vids I'm very intrigued.

I wonder if the size of the dog makes any difference to a coyote and am curious if a Rhodesian Ridgeback would make a good coyote dog. Something tells me a lone coyote may not have enough balls to chase down a full grown Rhodesian.

The only reason I mention a Rhodesian is because if I was going to subject a dog to a potential fight, I would want the odds to be very lopsided in favor of the domesticated dog. I have two Pyranese who are easily big enough but fear that their protective instincts would overide any training and they would just chase off the yote. It would be another story if I thought they could catch and kill one but I doubt that would ever happen unless they cornered one.

Any thoughts as to what the perfect yote dog breed would be? I'm sure American pit bull will come up as they can more than take care of themselves. I just don't know how trainable they are.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have not heard of the dog you are talking about off hand. I use a australian shepard he barks and threatens them and goes out about 20 yrds but hes a big baby. He minds like no other and if attacked im sure he would fight back but the fight would ne in my lap.lol. you dont have to have a mean dog! He really helps out and knows what its all about if theres one been around he gets excited and if he smells one coming or just has that feeling he goes straight to attention sniffing the air and he will stare right were it is letting you get ready. I wont use him if its to thick as i cant cover his arse if needed. He has cost me afew at first before he knew what the program was but now it works pretty good. I just put the collar on him and vibrate him if he gets to far ahead or i want him next to me. Most times he just lays a few yards to the side of me or sits there but when he starts growling really low i know its about time to shoot.

14. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    Thats pretty awesome. Most any shepard is gonna be very smart and trainable. My Pyranese, while smart, are not exactly as trainable. Theyre sole job is to kill whatever is invading their turf and have been bred for centuries to do just that. I doubt I could train one to come in when he sees a coyote, and let it chase em. They are stone cold killers...LOL.

A Rhodesian ridgeback is a really cool large breed used for hunting large predators. Very lean for a large breed and can run for days and are big enough to take out just about whatever they want. I've never had one but know a few folks that have em and they seem pretty smart.

To give you an idea of what Pyrenese do and are capable of, I spent a winter a while back with a new dead deer on my front porch about every other week. At first I figured he was finding dead ones then realized they were still warm. I don't know how but he was killing deer, fawns, does, bucks at an alarming rate. I guess they invaded his space. I got rid of him that summer as I couldn't break him from killing deer. To this day I'm still running over bones from all his kills with my lawn mower.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  15. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    I think that a Border Collie crossed with a Catahoula, or a Yellow Blackmouth Cur crossed with a Catahoula would make an excellent coyote decoy dog. A friend of mine has one of the Border Collie Catahoula crossed dogs, and he is the smartest dog I have ever been around. He learned on his own everything my friend wanted him to do with his cattle and a lot more. He is so intuitive that he just seems to understand what is wanted of him. I killed a big male coyote back on his farm one day and brought him up around the barn. Old "Bud" didn't like that smelly rascal at all, and was giving four kinds of hell. We got him away for a few minutes, and put the coyote up in the back of my truck. When Bud came back and approached my truck, he jumped up over the tailgate and started giving that coyote the devil again. If a person was training him to decoy coyotes, I have no doubt he would make a great one. He minds great and is bonded to my friend like you wouldn't believe.