Dogs for coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Jhartley91, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    Does anyone here use dogs for yote hunting? I saw a video and it got my little brain going .... What kinda dogs do you use. How's it work. I'm all ears!

2. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    There was a member on here a couple years ago that was training a pair of Mt. Curs for decoy dogs. If I remember right he'd killed a couple off them. It's been a while back don't know if he's still on here or not.

3. mpgeorgia

mpgeorgia Fawn

Oct 13, 2011
    I use a BMC for decoy work. What specifics are you looking for? Shoot me a pm and I'll try to answer the best I can

4. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Still watching and killing yotes ,just not posting much. I use mnt. Curs, what ever dog you use it must be bonded to you and willing to do or hunt whatever you want to, that is the key. I did not teach my dog a thing, she has taught me a bunch. [​IMG]

5. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Hunting with a dog is way more fun than just hunting yotes and you will kill more to. When a yote comes in,1-2-or 3 they will not leave once they spot the dog which makes for easy targets.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  6. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    I've got a red bone for coons and my wife talked me into getting a catahoula and we are thinking about training it for coons but being used traditionally for baying hogs I wanted to find something more suiting for him and I saw people hunting yotes with them and got to thinking. Not sure if the catahoula would be good for it or how to go about it

7. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Use a shock /tone collar and teach the dog to come back to you after going out to the coyote and the coyote will follow you dog back towards you

8. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    My redbone is already trained to do that. No matter what she is doing or running if you tone her she comes running. What's the level of issues that come from the coyote catchin the dog? How close do you let your dog(s) get befor you recall them? Do you just use normal calls from a caller such as a fox pro while your dogs are runnin around? It might save everyone's time of I just hunt with someone haha. I have 1000 questions. As you can tell

9. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Call me 859-621-5764

10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Watch Tony Teppe on youtube he has some awsome dogs.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

11. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Curs are in my opinion the best overall outdoorsman's best friend! We have had a pair for years and have raised several litters of pups. These pups have been used for squirrel, coon, hog, and even made some really good bear chase dogs. I have a couple pups we didn't sell from the last litter, may need to start taking them coyote hunting with me!

12. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    The catahoula we have is considered a cur. I know people that use them for coons, cattle, and bay dogs for hogs. I guess we will see how many hats this pup can wear.

13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I use a australian shepard the best thing about a dog is they can smell a coyote long before you can see it. Exp if hes is circling your setup i always watch the dog more than just looking for the coyote.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

14. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    I wish I wasn't at work for 28 hours. I could be watching youtube right now

15. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    A good decoy dog can result in some good hunting, no question about that. But I wouldn't trade a good, reliable hunting partner for any dog. As far as comparing hunting with a dog to hunting without one, I wouldn't say it is more fun. It is different, but the dog is just another tool in your bag of tricks. As far as fun goes, I'd say that calling in a big old male using hand/mouth calls is about as good as it gets. Using a good ecaller that you program yourself is yet another tool that is hard to beat.