doghouse blind

thunderchicken09

10 pointer
Feb 4, 2008
I bought one a couple days ago and im pretty sure it will be alright for bowhunting, just wanna see what your guys' input is on it.

Quickdraw Limpsalot

12 pointer
Sep 16, 2005
Larue Co.
Yep, but make sure of two things - don't sit against the back wall or you'll smack it with your strong elbow when you draw, shaking the whole blind... and don't use a seat that's too high or you'll have to hunch down to be able to shoot through the windows (or at least I do, but I'm 6'2".)

Last edited:

danf26

8 pointer
Nov 5, 2009
southeastky
i hunted in one for the dirst time the other day. terrible, cuts your vision down 80%, cant hear anything and if it is warm you will burn up.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
I haven't found a blind I like. If you get one big enough to shoot a bow out of the footprint is usually so large I have a hard time finding a good spot for it. If it's gun season I don't like the fact that it hides my orange so I end up carrying an extra vest or two to put on it. The only time I use it is if I'm with my son it's very cold and windy then we'll get in and turn on my heater. Other than that they just take up space in my closet.

kyarcher

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 12, 2001
Garrard County, Ky
I bought a Hunters View blind and set it up in the back yard just to try and could not get my bow drawn back without hitting the blind so it's brand new back in the box. I am 6'4" and the blind is just not tall enough for me.

jmason98

Spike
Jul 7, 2008
Morehead,KY
Doghouse is ok if your in there by yourself. If you are bowhunting and have someone film its a nightmare. The Primos Groundmax is pretty good for the price.

Quickdraw Limpsalot

12 pointer
Sep 16, 2005
Larue Co.
Agreed, the Primos Groundmax is a much better blind than a doghouse (Ameristep), but it's also much larger (set up AND collapsed.) I have both and use the Doghouse more because I can throw it on like a backpack and fit it into tighter spaces in the woods, and I usually hunt alone.

HUNTINGMAN

12 pointer
Nov 7, 2008
Harrodsburg KY
I gave up bowhunting out of my doghouse blind. I am 6'2" and have a 29" draw,I can't get drawn back comfortable enough to shoot,just not enough room. I use it alot during gun season and turkey season,it cuts down on the wind during those long November and December sits.

Nov 24, 2008
For overall portabilty these are great blinds, fold them up and throw them in the back pack. They are reat for turkey hunting. For bowhunting be sure to practice shooting from your knees. That has worked the best for me. Or try siiting sideways out of a chair.

thunderchicken09

10 pointer
Feb 4, 2008
thanks for the info you all, i took it out friday morning, saw 8 deer and sat in it tonight just saw 1 wasnt close enough tho.its not bad for me but i can see if your tall it would be hard to hunt out of. Im only like 5'8 and a 27inch draw so shooting from it is not that hard for me. the shoott through mesh is hard to see out of so i just take it off on the side i believe i will get a shot from. portabilty is great tho. I have the ameristep pent house i love it, but its too much trouble to put up and not really low profile either, but theres a lot of room in it.

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
I don't know about you guys, but I want me one of those "Cathouse Blinds" complete with red light! A couple "Kitties" wouldn't be so bad either. Help pass the time.:D

Latest posts