Dog work

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Mar 7, 2010.

1. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    lvr pup

here is a pic of my lvr pup[​IMG][​IMG]top pic 5 mo bottom pic 9 weeks

2. treymac

treymac 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2010
    Morgan
    Starting to work young dogs every other day or better, no pictures at this time, Keeping the rust off my field trial dog, got 2 more KY Region Trials and the Champion of Champions Trial in Amo coming up. We have pictures of all of our dogs on Facebook in a fan page McCandless Brittanys. Loving the great weather, and getting some good progress on our dogs.

3. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Here is a photo I took yesterday of my young female, working her on a few birds and she went on to find a wild covey. I got to work her on several of the singles. Great workout! She is by Ch. Wynot Ace x McGoo's Elhew Kia.[​IMG]

4. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Here is a picture of Clay taken during a workout couple days ago. He is by 2XGrouse Ch. Wynot Ace X McGoo's Elhew Kia.
    [​IMG]

5. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    I can't remember how old the pup is in the picture, but very young.

[​IMG]

6. grousehunter ky

grousehunter ky 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2008
    London, KY

She does a whole lot better now. We hunt together a bunch and he's usually trying to get me to get one of those long tailed dogs. I think I'll stick with the Britts but I like the way his setter hunts.

Russ

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The little setter pointed another wild bird Sunday. She held this one a good long time. If I can keep her on wild birds every week or so, I may forego the pigeon work I had planned.

I found and walked up another grouse that was drumming on a log in the same place I heard drumming last October. If that dude wants to make a habit of using that log, I may have to snap his portrait. I can build a blind in the brush easily enough, camoflage myself and the camera/tripod, and give it a whirl.

8. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Birds should start nesting any day now, want to be careful about busting up a nest.

9. Jacobs

Jacobs Fawn

Mar 15, 2010
    ky
    Amen. Grouse hunters don't go in woods during april. Be a shame to bust up a nest.
    Eric

10. mahpoogrrl

mahpoogrrl Fawn

Apr 12, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Hey,

I am currently trying to locate some grounds to train my dogs on. I have two gundogs who will be spending a lot of time at home now and I am handling them in field trials and will take them on their first hunting trip this fall.

Any suggestions on grounds to train on? Either foot or off ATV is fine with me....I just need to get them worked...NOW!!! LOL!!!

Thanks

11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    My suggestion would be, contact someone from the quail chapter in the Louisville area for recommentations. They have a very active chapter, some of which post on this site.

12. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    This is the first time these little setters got yard work. I have 1 female and 2 males left. They will be ready 2nd week in May.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Now that's a nice looking bunch of pups.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  14. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Has all the grouse hunters vanished? What's going on in grouse country?

15. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    I think they are turkey hunting.