Dog Training

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by jtcain02, Nov 22, 2019.

1. jtcain02

jtcain02 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm going to pick up my first ever gun dog (hopefully) on Sunday. He's a 5 month old lab with a proven pedigree. I did all my research that I could and even sent the pedigree information to Rob to make sure that I wasn't overlooking anything. When I went to view the dog he had lots of natural drive to retrieve and used his nose well to "hunt" when he didn't see exactly where the dummy landed which I thought was impressive. Anyway, I'll get to the point... I have already discussed training with Rob and he has agreed to take the dog if I would like. I know Rob does a great job and I have no doubts what-so-ever that he will do great with my dog. However, I have a hunting buddy that has a dog that was trained by someone else and when the trainer gives commands he is quick to act but not so much with the owner. Being new to working dogs, how common is this? I would love to attempt to train the dog myself but with my work I never know when I will get sent out of town for extended periods of time and would hate to ruin a great dog by not spending the time needed with him in development. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And Rob, when you read this... my messages were erased last week and I didn't save your number so that's why I haven't contacted you this week. If you could message it to me on here that would be awesome! Thanks guys!

2. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Rob is the man he's going to shoot you straight and tell you exactly what you need to do. And what commands are what. Your buddys trainer may of dropped the ball on training your buddy.

3. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    If your buddy's dog wont take commands thats on him. It takes repetition. I trained mine and I enjoy hunting over her knowing we learned together. Shes a dang good dog in my book. I will say she has a few lose ends that a good experienced trainer would have fixed but its little things. If I were wanting to run trials or get MH I would probably have sent her to a trainer. She would probably have progressed faster also. When we ran into hiccups I had to research and figure it out. If you dont have 10-20 mins a day everyday to do the training send it off for sure.

4. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Transition from trainer to owner is really just a matter of repetition and consistency. When you get the dog back, listen to what Rob tells you to work on, don't expect the dog to do the most difficult of things with you perfect from the git go, but if you start small and work up and only move along as the dog is progressing well with you, you will do fine. Consistency will be your key. Good Luck with your pup!

5. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    1. Patience
    2. Consistency to the established standard
    3. Praise the heck out of that pup!

6. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    you would be surprised what you can accomplish with 10-20 minutes a day working with a pup. If nothing else do the basics yourself then send off to a pro for force fetch and blind work. buy into a system and even better if that system is similar to what the pro you plan to use is using. as stated before establish a standard and dont expect to much to quick. If you want to have a go at it yourself check into hillman for his puppy dvd. and mike lardy total retriever training for advanced work.

what has been done with the dog so far? at 5 months I would expect a pup to be pretty solid on all obedience and at least close to ready for collar conditioning.

HeadedWest likes this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    A video would be sweet.

8. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Your buying a 5 month old adult. Dogs brains are fully developed at 7 weeks. That’s why it’s imperative to get a pup at 7-8 weeks of age. You are going to spend the next year undoing 3 months of whatever the breeder did or didn’t do with the dog.

Long story short. Hope your getting a hell of a deal on this dog leftover from it’s litter.

HeadedWest likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    7 weeks is the optimum time to get a pup, 100% correct.

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Some top breeders are also handlers (and some of those even have staffed agitators...)

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have owned a few Labs thru the years. I broke them myself. Starting them out at 3 months old just with little stuff. Sit stay fetch come and lay down. Then progress as the pup got older. Im not out for awards and ribbon titles. Just want my Dog to do what I ask of it to do. My old Lab now is 12. Probably will be her last year. Looking for a pup to train with her.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I have one for you.

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Thanks but got my mind set on a Boykin.

Jowlsnbowels likes this.
  14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Are you sure (look at my avatar)?

15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Yeah pretty sure. I have always wanted one. But always settled with a Lab. So im really wanting a Boykin. This will probably be my last Duck Dog. As im getting up in age.